Progressive 440's??

Gkiller

Supercharged
Hello:

I am a new Rocket owner (06 Classic), and I came across a set of Progressive 440 shocks for a tad bit over $100 and am considering buying them. I weigh in at about 280, and was wondering if the Progressive's will drastically improve my ride over stock shocks?
Any feedback would be great...thanks.

they will drastically make a difference the stock rocket's rear suspension is horrible.
Are they new or used if used make sure you get the original sale receipt with them to use the lifetime warranty.

I would double check to see if they are standard or heavy duty springs. I just purchased new 440's and was told by a progressive tech. that heavy duty springs should be used if the normal weight that the bike is carrying is over 225 lbs. The standard springs can bottom out at your weight especially if you carry a passenger. If it works out, you will find that the 440's are the best money spent on an upgrade on the bike. It totally transforms the ride from bone jarring to mildly sporty, the shocks give you a more confident feeling in the twisties.

+1 on the original receipt. I had a set that leaked after a year ( mind you they had about 10K already on them) and no warranty without a receipt. I did get around it but not for discussion.:eek: Standard springs work great for me at 210 but bottom with the misses. Go heavy duty, stiff by myself but better than stock. Progressive treated me right and even sold me a spring remover at half price. Got the ends polished by Cadfather.

+1 on the necessity of using the Heavy Duty version at your weight, Gkiller. The standards will not cut it for you. BTW, they are a great and very necesssary upgrade to our Rockets as the stck setup is quite wanting.

If you are not going to buy the set that you have lined up, I would very much like to buy them from your source! If that's possible, please PM (private message) me the details on how that could be arranged!

Progressive's

TriumPhil....I found the shocks listed locally on Craigslist. Unfortunately, he sold them while I was doing some research on the shocks...so I am back in the market looking for another good deal.

Too bad, killer.:(

I swapped my 440s out off of my last bike, a VTX 1800 and they were the closest possible to the R3's stock size, so you might try the 1800 classifieds here: VTX Owners Association to find a decent deal on a used set. Poke around there long enough and you'll turn up a set for about $250-$300. I honestly can't recall seeing them any cheaper. there's a fair # of used bikes for sale there and sometimes the guys might part out their rides, so that's worth a shot as well.

BTW a buddy of mine on that site (ISKIVT) is 6'2'' 290 lbs and says the standards are just fine for him once they are properly adjusted in accordance with this:Progressive Suspension - Performance Suspension Components for Harley Davidson, Honda, Suzuki, Polaris, Yamaha and Kawasaki

If you ride 2 up it may be a different story.

TriumPhil....I found the shocks listed locally on Craigslist. Unfortunately, he sold them while I was doing some research on the shocks...so I am back in the market looking for another good deal.

just in case you are interested 75% of german R3 riders switch to WILBER suspension , the factory will tune their shocks to your weight , also suggested is to also use their front springs I guess if 75 % of german rider switched there must be some truth to the fact that wilbers.are superior .check them out..

Back