Progressive 440's

idk said:
I put a pair of Progressive 440's on the bike back in August and my initial impression was that they were better than the standard shocks, but not worth writing home about. Then over the winter the chrome peeled off so I was even less impressed.

I emailed Progressive Suspension and they gave me an RMA so I took them off and sent them back. I put the stock shocks back on and the difference was amazing. These things are wallowing and bottoming out like crazy. I want my 440's back - preferably with chrome that doesn't come off.

It does make me appreciate the quality of Triumph chrome though. :roll:

Mine too, the chrome is already fcuked in 8 months, I found out when I took off my Corbins to do the Corbin bag quik release mod.

I jumped right on the bandwagon, took the sages' advice on this site, and bought the 440s from NightRider, may he rest in peace. Never regretted it.

Just bought 440s, arrived today so havnt tested them yet.. Frount suspension has gone soggy as wet bread tho(. Road a mates rocket & his was waaaay better handling :cry: .Dunno whether stiffer fork oil is the answer? or new springs?

HAGON NITRO's. They aren't as flashy as the Progressives but they are a superior shock (at a superior price, re: cough up left lung to buy). I considered the 440's initially but after comparing quality, adjustability, materials and workmanship, the Hagon's win hands down. During my 3000 mile jaunt to the capitol and back other riders (Harley mounted) were getting tossed out of the seat over gnarly pot-holes and road construction while my bike ran true and absorbed everything with aplomb. I never got launched out of the seat no matter how hard I hit deep pot-holes (I actually checked my rear wheel for damage in West Virginia).

That said, to get the stockers to work better increase the preload (alot). The stockers at low preload settings squat to the point the compression and rebound damping are almost gone. Set your static sag to no more than 15mm with the stockers and they work better, (not good, just beeter).

Yup, aplomb!

Say what you will about using prosaicisms, aphorisms, apothegms and shibboleths, but I like em!!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Blastedbones: Progressive has a set of fork springs, and you can increase the oil density one grade to improve the ride quality. I don't know if anyone makes an emulator for the forks yet.

Here's a wish: I wish Triumph would put some adjustable forks on this monster so everyone can avoid death wobbles and fork bottoming. Hey a smidgeon more travel would be good too (like 3 more inches she said).

Templar said:
Did you say aplomb? :D

Anyway I installed P440s two years ago and they are now useless when 2 up. Completely bottomed out at full pre-load.
I think someone told me that they will rebuild them for free. Anybody aware of this or is it just rumour?

I bought mine about the same time as you and they have been rebuilt because one was leaking, but they did both. The lifetime warranty available at the time (but not now I believe) should cover you, if you bought them new. The warranty is to original owners only and you may need proof of purchase.

Back