Progressive 440 review

HellFire

Legend
Promised I would write something on the standard 440's after the trip to Ocean City. I opted for the standard 440's rather than the Heavy Duty versions and they aren't for everyone. For my purpose's they will work just fine, I wanted something softer for riding one up and for better weight transfer on hard launches. For that they work great, but when riding two up and loaded with luggage the HD's are the logical choice. By adjusting the pre-load a single passenger or luggage works fine.... but both passenger and luggage is too much for them. I'm 200lbs, wife 140-ish, full saddle bags and a monster bag on sissy bar. The bike did bottom out (hit rubber stops in shocks) on a couple occasions over medium/harsh bumps. 0917101335a_1.jpg
Next time I know that I will travel some distance with both the passenger and luggage, I will just stick the stock set back on. The stock shocks/springs work very well when the bike is fully loaded (about the only time they work well). Having the Rivco center stand makes swapping out the shocks as easy as changing the pre-load on either set, just four bolts. But since most of my riding is just me and maybe a light load of luggage, I decided to keep the light duty 440's and keep the stockers handy.
So my recommendation is if you have a Roadster like set-up (solo seat, stripped down, light or no bags, under 400lbs) go with the light duty 440's. If you have a touring or classic like set-up (often carry passengers, large baggage, heavy luggage or passengers over 450lbs) go for the heavy duty 440's. Even though they are simple to switch out with the stock set, it's still inconvenient and most don't want to bother with that. The name is a good rule of thumb, under 440lbs light duty, over 440lbs heavy duty. Just have to decide for yourself. :)

F.Y.I. .....
I spoke with the Progressive rep at the Ocean City Bike Week vendor display, they told me that should I want to up the load rating some time in the future, Heavy Duty springs are available that can be installed on the light duty shocks. So if you need to up the load rating down the road, you don't have to buy new shocks. Good to know.

Back