Progressive 440 Install

JohnnyCanuck

Supercharged
Hi all. I just ordered standard Progressive 440's (12.5") for the rear and the Progressive fork kit for up front. I'm going to leave replacement of the front shocks to the shop that is replacing my tires because I don't have the necessary equipment. But I would like to do the rear shocks myself if I can. My question is whether I can replace the rear shocks without raising the Rocket on a lift or otherwise bracing it - i.e. can I replace the shocks with the Rocket just on its side stand? Any tips on the actual install also appreciated. Thanks.

It's much easier, faster and safer to do the job with no load on the rear, i.e., jacked up, on a lift or a utilizing a hoist. That way it's just bolts off, slip off the old, remount and bolts on.

I have one of those Sears motorcycle lifts but am somewhat trepidatious about lifting the Rocket with it and then yanking at the shocks. Could be a possibly traumatic experience for me and the Rocket. Any tips on how to winch the bike down securely? Thanks.

I did mine on the sidestand...just go one side at a time and lift the rear fender while you slip the top of the shock onto the post. Doesn't take too much muscle, but if you have an extra pair of helping hands it should go very easily for you.

When I installed my 440's recently, I raised the bike slightly off the ground with my Harbor Freight lift, then placed a block underneath the sidestand (kickstand) that left the bike tilted every so slightly to that side. I was able to pull and re-install the shocks very easily and the bike was very stable.

One thing you may do if you go this route...loosen the shock bolts BEFORE you lift the bike to minimize the amount of pulling and jerking that may come from wrenching the bolts loose while lifted.

Adding my 2 cents to this old post. While I was able to replace the shocks just using the side stand and a floor jack, the processes involved way more risk than I would have liked. I would not do it that way again. I ended up using 3 guys to hold the back end off the ground while I put on the left side shock. Sketchy at best.

Back