berrypicker

.020 Over
has anyone in the tuning game removed the backlash eliminatotor gear on the clutch drum (the thin one) and do the aftermarket race clutches still have this , cam gears on the honda rc 30 used this feature and all the tuners used to junk it to free up the friction ,its an annoying trait on all the modern triumphs the constant prmary whine ,a mate who collects the early triples has one bike out of four which has a very queit primary with very little whine its high mileage and my mate reckons the backlash gear has lost its tension ,either that or its a fluke of assembly ,i could put up with a little bit of clutch drum clatter at idle like a ducati or kawasaki in preference to this high pitched whine ,being an engineering type it always sounds to me like a bearing is on its way out and that theres a lot of unnecessary friction being produced plus spoils an other wise great sounding bike

has anyone in the tuning game removed the backlash eliminatotor gear on the clutch drum (the thin one) and do the aftermarket race clutches still have this , cam gears on the honda rc 30 used this feature and all the tuners used to junk it to free up the friction ,its an annoying trait on all the modern triumphs the constant prmary whine ,a mate who collects the early triples has one bike out of four which has a very queit primary with very little whine its high mileage and my mate reckons the backlash gear has lost its tension ,either that or its a fluke of assembly ,i could put up with a little bit of clutch drum clatter at idle like a ducati or kawasaki in preference to this high pitched whine ,being an engineering type it always sounds to me like a bearing is on its way out and that theres a lot of unnecessary friction being produced plus spoils an other wise great sounding bike

Its a shame your post hasnt got any real answers. :-| This is the major dislike I have with my Rocket and had the intention of looking into a possible cure this winter.

Looking at the design of the clutch assembly it was obvious that it was the tension of backlash eliminator that was causing the whine (a bit like too tight gear lash) and a simple cure would be to reduce the tension with different springs or make it an adjustable but lock-up assembly. However I couldn't help but try and look inside the mind of the designers - why use a fairly complex and expensive unit just to reduce backlash?

I couldn't really come up with a definitive answer on that, but my suspicions are that its duel purpose. The design very much reminds me of the mass damper flywheels fitted to diesel engines, these being used to smooth out the large low rpm torque spikes, the Rocket has high torque at relatively low rpm!

It would be good to open up the debate on this, any takers?

definitely meshing too tight producing the whine also soaking up a couple of bhp while its at it probably done so you dont have too slectively match the gears to simplify production IE make em slack then add the device,i used to lap timing gears with diamond lapping compound on vintage rolls royce engines after the block had been white mettaled then line bored as it upset the centers, it serves no purpose to the drive this being solely taken up with the wide portion of the gear ,when i have cause to delve into my clutch im going to have the teeth removed by machining or grinding that should sort it out ,even with loud pipes etc it still gets on my tits ;pity triumph didnt use a dry car type clutch at the other end then you could at least find neutral still got to have the knack of snicking it in to neutral while you roll up to the lights Im ok with that being brought up with crap clutches but i think thats why thers so many complaints about the rocket g box the new riders been used to super precise japanese engineering expecting it to just click into first after the bikes been laid up for a couple of weeks and being met with a crunch because the clutch plates are stuck together

07 classsic no gear change problems but i feel that the clutch needs more lift you can adjust it up with no play and it works better but then the actuator shaft would have aload on it ,im thinking a shorter lever on the splined shaft would give more travel in relation to the handelbar lever ,anyway not a big problem at the moment ,just another mod on the to do list along with that incessantly whining primary gear

definitely meshing too tight producing the whine also soaking up a couple of bhp while its at it probably done so you dont have too slectively match the gears to simplify production IE make em slack then add the device,i used to lap timing gears with diamond lapping compound on vintage rolls royce engines after the block had been white mettaled then line bored as it upset the centers, it serves no purpose to the drive this being solely taken up with the wide portion of the gear ,when i have cause to delve into my clutch im going to have the teeth removed by machining or grinding that should sort it out ,even with loud pipes etc it still gets on my tits ;pity triumph didnt use a dry car type clutch at the other end then you could at least find neutral still got to have the knack of snicking it in to neutral while you roll up to the lights Im ok with that being brought up with crap clutches but i think thats why thers so many complaints about the rocket g box the new riders been used to super precise japanese engineering expecting it to just click into first after the bikes been laid up for a couple of weeks and being met with a crunch because the clutch plates are stuck together

I get where you are coming from and if you end up doing what you suggest I will be really interested to see the results. I still think there is more to the backlash eliminator though, that assembly really looks to me like a mass damper too.

As for the clutch, I have no trouble finding neutral on mine so cant comment. First gear engagement always clonks unless I pull the lever and hold for a couple of seconds before engaging. The whole gear change thing is different with the Rocket and cant really be compared to most any other bike, how many multi's have 2.3ltr, 140hp at 6k and 140ft/lb of torque at 2.5k. Everything inside is bigger and consequently has more inertia - it has car gearbox proportions but operated with the foot!

I think the straight cut gears make the whine, the backlash eliminator stops the gears from clanking.
Straight cut gears whine but not as loud as gears with too tight a mesh - that spring mechanism just applies too much load imo.

Is this the high pitched whine you get mainly in 1st 2nd and 3rd as you accellerate? Ive always had that noise,never gotten any worse or better.

Mines almost like a squeak.

Back