primary vs secondary tps question

Tripps

Retired superhero
Ride
R3T,Sprintona,K1200GT, Blackbird,r/65 hack
I'm getting an intermittent miss, which I originally thought was at a certain, rpm. But riding it a bit, I realized it seemed more dependent on throttle position than rpm. I had issues with my secondary tps years ago, and ordered a new one. Then someone suggested TuneECU and an adjustment, worked a charm, so I kept the secondary tps. Anyway, could a bad primary tps cause a "buck" or miss. And also, I think I remember someone saying the only difference between the primary and secondary tps was a longer cord on the secondary, anyone know if that's correct? @warp9.9

Oh, and being old and decrepit, Rather than go out and crawl over bikes to see if it's even still there, since I no longer have secondaries, even if it's still on there (I can't remember), would it have any effect on anything?

No edit feature with the app? Apologies, remembered and read fiche wrong, I have primary tps, the rear one, so I guess my only question is could that cause intermittent bucking and missing? Other suspect is dodgy ignition, but I have DeCosse's keyless on the way.

I tried installing a secondary in the primary position, worked backwards. Closed throttle was 100% in the software, full open throttle was 0% in the software.

Not sure how they’re the same, one rotates clockwise one rotates counter clockwise.

@1olbull was there and saw my brain melt as I had read they’re interchangeable on those forums, they’re not.

A common problem I believe with a loose coil wire connection. Might check those terminals. I hear the number 1 coil is a bear to get at.

Last edited:
I tried installing a secondary in the primary position, worked backwards. Closed throttle was 100% in the software, full open throttle was 0% in the software.
Not sure how they’re the same, one rotates clockwise one rotates counter clockwise.
@1olbull was there and saw my brain melt as I had read they’re interchangeable on those forums, they’re not.

Amen on that and we found a good cleaning of the TPS does not last long either.

Check all low tension leads to the coils and crimp the ends a little more so they are snug and do not have intermittent contact. They can create a miss that jumps around and hard to pin point.
Since you have the primary TPS you can run an ISCV reset and if the problem remains change the primary TPS and reset it. This can be done with Tune Boy or Tune ECU as you are not changing Bob's map.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Tripps I had a similar issue twice before, once was the tube to the MAP sensor was slightly backed off and the other was "tracking" (arcing from one of coil#2's HT leads to the cam cover) caused by oxidised spark plug threads in the head, which made it easier for the current to jump from HT lead to earth (cam cover) than across the spark plug gap.
Hard to spot it only in darkness or if you have a keen ear.

Re the Primary TPS vs the Secondary TPS, the sec TPS cable is about 2" longer than the primary TPS cable.
Otherwise, on the outside, they are identical (same plug & body shape etc). Well - pri has blue inside and secondary has black - but we don't see colour lol

They work differently inside though. The primary's internal spring rotates it anti-clockwise, the secondary's spring rotates it clockwise.
This is so as the primary and secondary throttles rotate in opposite directions.

Both range 0-5000 ohms resistance on a multimeter, going from 5000 when turned fully anticlockwise, to 0 ohms when turned fully clockwise.

I wonder if you could use the secondary TPS in place of the primary, but you'd have to pre-rotate the springed inside bit before locking it in it's final position (same procedure for installing it on the secondary thottle)

Back