Primacy lc radial tire for r3t

steelboss

.040 Over
Hi, :)
I am new to R3 and I have just bought a 2008 R3T. I have owned a number of rides since 1978 and my last was a Kawasaki 600 Ninja. I was all set to buy a Goldwing…something I had fantasized about for the past 30 years and the Goldwing “Deals Gap” video :eek:(Google it) made me crazy to start touring. Anyway, I was concerned about the 2-wheeled Winnebago image and started looking at the Kawasaki GTR1400. And then I stumbled upon the Rocket…and the rest is history.

Ok, so I got the bike and I ride in China…absolutely wonderful touring through ancient villages, old stone bridges, temples, and farmland just breathtaking.
Except for the part where I twist back the throttle and the rear wheel spins like it was buttering a muffin.;) Rear braking is horrifying unless you get a kick out if seeing your panniers moonwalking in the mirrors..:eek: I am getting ready to get J-piped and Tune-jobbed so this spinning can only get worse. I spent 2 weeks ready R3 forums and I have rented a cubicle on the dark side.
A number if riders seem to agree that the Conti 205-60-16 is the tire of choice if you are willing to cross the void. So I did some checking on the world’s largest online shopping platform (based in China) and I found a tire that I think is better than the Conti. I studied the tread patterns on many (car) tires made by Dunlop, Bridgestone, Pirelli, Michelin, Goodyear, Yokohama, and a handful of other Western & Asian brands. Many of the tires do not have symmetrical patterns leading away from the center; meaning one side is different than the other = handling & wear differences depending on if you are leaning left or right??... For others, such as “large V” pattern sport radials, the spaces are too large, equaling less rubber; and then finally, others that have symmetrical patterns and good spacing, have a solid, unbroken centerline rib, which is not good for water shedding and traction at the center.
I decided to buy the Primacy LC 205-60R16 92V by Michelin. This tire is designed to be a gas-saver, super quiet, and softer sidewalls for cornering and extra comfort.
Specs:
Car Type • Passenger
Tire Season • Summer Tires
Tire Diameter • 15 / 16 / 17 / 18 / 19 ”
Profile Width • 195 / 205 / 215 / 225 / 235 / 245 mm
Profile Height • 40 / 45 / 50 / 55 / 60 / 65
Tire Speed Index • V (up to 240 km/h) / W (up to 270 km/h) / Y (up to 300 km/h)
Load Index • 87~100
Maximum Load (per tire) • 545…800 kg
Method of Sealing • Tubeless
Tire Construction • Radial
RunFlat Technology • No
Studded • No

I will share more info after I get mounted…ok, finished…sorry..:bch:

Attachments

• primacylc_1351140768_thumb.jpg
    primacylc_1351140768_thumb.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,091
from your comment on saddlebags and braking..

use the front brake more often than the rear even with a CT. fact do use the rear 50/50 with a passenger and 15/85 when solo riding , eventually you will find a situation where it can save you from a world of hurt , then you will be glad you did
(my pet peeve rear braking on motorcycle and why do so many rider primarily use the rear brake)

first off,
Welcome to the site and the Rocket.
Done your research it sounds like.
How about some pictures once you've got it all lined out.
Beautiful scenery and Rockets seem to go together.
Again, Welcome,
from Oklahoma, U.S.S.A.

Welcome from new jersey USA ! just my 2 cents on rear tire lockups, I tried the dark side not bad ,great stopping great in the rain superb ride,however it was not my cup of tea, I changed my tires at 5700 miles to Bridgestone " excedra max" there fantastic no more rear lockups stops on a dime , with the metzlers it was a horror show when you applied the rear brake.
Good luck with your choice,........ Sandman :D

P.S. I have 09 rocket touring.:

Just finished up my first set of Exedra Max tires on my 08 Touring. I got 8,000 and then I saw cords. Not too bad I guess but I'd sure like to get more...

I just replaced an exedra max after 7500 miles on my R3T. Much better than the 5500 I got out of the metz. About $80 dollars cheaper also!

Primacy LC Installation and 1st Drive

Wow,
Thank you for the warm welcome @xhdskip and everyone else.:D I received the Primacy LC before I left work today,:p and right on cue it started pouring outside…:mad:. It was getting dark, but I was determined to get to the frontier of my Jedi mechanic.
The tread on my Primacy was even better than the one I thought I was getting, so you can notice that difference in the picture. I was soaking wet in my office suit (no rain gear…duh!) and jumped in right away to change the tire.
A few tech notes for those of you are still among the resistance, to share with yourself or your Jedi mechanic:
 1 floor jack and some common tools are enough.
 The panniers almost jump into your arms if you twist those inconspicuous looking little flat heads inside, a half turn to the left.
 We dropped the rear exhaust pipes in about 5 minutes.
 Remove the rear caliper in about a minute.
 Spun out the axle and disengaged the Warp-drive and the tire just rolled back and surrendered.
 We popped the tire off with a bench vice and steel flat bars, with rubber to protect the rim…(I said he was a Jedi…:cool:)
 5 minutes later we were filling up the Primacy, and everything went back together just as easy as it came apart. (Those UK people must be smart or something' like that..:rolleyes:
 No extra parts found under the bike. No missing tools. No skinned knuckles. My girl only called me once:D...

Results…
 Excellent fit on the bike. I was quite surprised how much room there really is under that fender. I mean the 205/60 is not even near the fender walls yet. (See Pics).
 Filled up to 40psi for the first drive.

It was still raining and the roads looked like wet black glass. I got out there and one I was strait I opened the throttle and the bike took off in the rain, straight line, no spinning. I broke soft, then harder, no problem. Then I locked the rear brake intentionally and the bike slid straight…like an arrow. Before with the ME880’s the bike would slide wildly if I tried that. I have not seen dry pavement yet at the time of this writing.
There is one issue. I notice a mild wobble at low speed, such as 20 to 30 mph. Faster than that and it goes away. I am sure this is only a balancing issue because I did not balance the Primacy yet.
Enjoy the pictures!

Regards,
Tony

Attachments

• DSCF2673.jpg
    DSCF2673.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 135
  • DSCF2681.jpg
    DSCF2681.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 168
  • DSCF2686.jpg
    DSCF2686.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 147
tire

Steelboss , tire pressure is too high, I would suggest you lower it down to about 30-32 psi.
The tire needs to flex and conform to cornering.

Back