Pretty good chip in front rim...

Tal

Living Legend
Ride
2021 Triumph Rocket 3 GT
We have lockdown here in NZ and so the bike is getting a good going over. I was going around the front rim and discovered a good sized chip ...about as big as your small finger nail..in the paint right by the valve...its down to the metal...must have been a good sized stone or something on the road i didnt notice to do this.
Any suggestions as what i can fill it with.?...I can get a small sample of paint and touch it up...maybe just keep filling it with paint?

20210823_125214.jpg
20210823_123703.jpg

...ive been racking my brain...no, i havnt had a tool near it...i checked the air pressures the other day and didnt see it...its right beside the valve too!...it may have been something on the road i guess but cant recall seeing anything...f$cked if i know?...
P.S. Ive checked back on a photo i took soon after getting the bike and it clearly shows no damage then...so i must have ran over a piece of metal im thinking..

Last edited:
@Tal did you ever figure something out on this? I screwed up royally - strapped a dry bag with a drill and other tools to the passenger seat and it slid off and banged around on my rim. Did a good amount of damage, including destroying my tire pressure monitor, but I guess it could have been worse.

Wondering if there's a special kind of paint that should be used, or just regular automotive touch up paint? It'll never be perfect, but it bugs the snot out of me to see it as a constant reminder of that dumb a$$ mistake.

i had in my rear rim but very small not sure if tire replacement guys did that or it was from the day 1

@Tal did you ever figure something out on this? I screwed up royally - strapped a dry bag with a drill and other tools to the passenger seat and it slid off and banged around on my rim. Did a good amount of damage, including destroying my tire pressure monitor, but I guess it could have been worse.

Wondering if there's a special kind of paint that should be used, or just regular automotive touch up paint? It'll never be perfect, but it bugs the snot out of me to see it as a constant reminder of that dumb a$$ mistake.
Sorry about the delay cobber...just had a stint in Hospital for 17 days so been out touch.
After filling the chip i sanded over it with the finest grade paper i could find to avoid any scratching then used black spray enamel and a small fine paint brush and gently covered it...it took several coats of very fine painting and now i struggle to see it.

Back