Preload adjustment

TRath

Supercharged
Ride
'09 RIII Classic Custom, '82 GL500 Café, '82 CBX
Maybe I'm just too dumb for this, but for the life of me I can't figure out how to adjust the proload on the rear shocks. I followed the directions in the handbook, but the tool just spins in the hole.

Can anyone let me know what I'm doing wrong? My wife's built like Olive Oyl and I almost launch her running over a pebble.

put the tool in the hole, and then use it as a lever to turn the the whole collar. It doesnt do anything inside the hole. Its like a mini prybar.

Well,
I ain't ever adjusted mine, but it makes sence to raise the weight of the bike off the rear wheel then adjust it.
I suppose if worse came to worse you could always take the bottom bolt out put it where you wanted it then stick the bolt back in.
Once again, this would seem easier if the bike was jacked up so you could lower it slowly aligning the bolt hole.
If no one else chimes in before then, I'll do mine tomorrow around daylight and figure somethin out.
now you got me curious..
take care.
skip
Ok, couldn't stand it, went out and stuck a drill bit in the hole and turned it, no big deal.

Last edited:
You put the tool in the hole (using it like a handle) and rotate the whole lower part of the shock. Turning the tool in the hole doesn't do anything. It doesn't turn real easy because its under a load. It won't make much difference if you jack the bike up or not.

Think of it as the tool is the handle of a wrench and the lower part of the shock is the nut.

Yup, too dumb for it. There were 2 other rockets at bike night and the first captain didn't have a clue either, so we both got to feel stupid when the second raised an eyebrow and pointed out that we were turning it the wrong way.

Also, I was under the impression that it was set to 3, not 1. Guess it's not getting any softer, which most likely means back belt for me and seat belt for the missus.:rolleyes:

it gets better

it does get better
it takes a while for the shocks to break in.
it took me about 7000 miles
it'll happen faster the more you ride with extra weight
i feel for you the 1st time i hit a good bump with my
new bike it almost threw me

The answer is obvious you big silly. If you can't figure out how to adjust the preload on the bike, adjust Olive's preload with a couple of buckets of fried chicken, mashed potatoes, rolls and gravy. That ought to do it. ;)

A screw driver will work. A pipe (wrench) on the screw driver will make it easier. I found the description in the manual confusing. Turning clockwise compresses the spring. It is not intuitive whether they mean clockwise looking down from the top or looking up from underneath the shock, especially since the adjusting end is the bottom.

There's a cam attached to the shock's inner barrel which rides over a five-step ring as you turn the collar. The lowest step (position 1) gives the least spring compression (least preload). The highest step (position 5) gives the most spring compression (most preload). To increase preload, turn it clockwise looking down at the top of the shock.

By the way, Triumph now sells a "comfort touring suspension pack" for the R3, $499.99, part A9648006, "These replacement shocks offer a softer ride for your Rocket III".

Too bad nearly everyone has gotten Progressives in the meanwhile.

Last edited:
Found this thread while researching how to adjust the preload on the rear shocks - once again the info is spot on. So thankful this sight exists!!!!! :)

Back