maurice

Nitrous
Ride
2020 R3 GT
So I am riding at 80-85 mph off an on for an hour or so, stopped a time or 2 briefly, and on the last leg home at mentioned speed I felt a loss of power. I don't recall if I twisted throttle much after feeling this, but I think I turned it a bit and not the normal response, and pulled off the hwy and stopped, turned off motor. Motor did not miss a beat that I can detect, started back up and rode about 70 mph, stopped for food, then back on hwy to try and see if it occured again. Only rode about 15 more minutes at the higher speed. Probably unrelated, but the dealer recently connected my hella plug for power, saying it was not connected. I put gps on today and it worked fine, until it didn't! No power on that plug after using it about 1 hr.
Anyone have the power problem above? Ideas on what it could be? Second guessing myself wondering if I could have misperceived what I felt. thanks.

Is your battery charging when the engine is running ?

Curiosity got me, just checked terminals, negative was 1/4 turn, positive half of that. Don't think that would be it.
Tomorrows ride will tell if it occurs again.

How can you tell? No alternator gage.

No need for alternator gage. Just Voltmeter to check the battery. If your battery charging while engine is running you should get more than 13 V at the battery and less than 13 V when the engine is not running.

No need for alternator gage. Just Voltmeter to check the battery. If your battery charging while engine is running you should get more than 13 V at the battery and less than 13 V when the engine is not running.
Got it. I knew that. But forgot. Really. Will check later today. Would think it wouldn't start so easy though. Thx!

Last edited:
Update. On hwy this morning, 80+ mph same. Throttle steady at 85, then feeling power loss. Mph dropping, but when I turn throttle, there is slight hesitation, then powers forward again. No backfiring, engine never stops. When I slow down to get off hwy acts normal. I stop and I smell something, don't know how to describe, but gone in a couple seconds.
Back on hwy, up to 85-90, again within 5 minutes. Decided to find the minimum speed this happens. Btw, from stop to full excelleration, no problem.
Rode 65, 70, 75, 80, 85 for at least 5 mins each. Then 90+ for 15 minutes straight, an like a top.
There is a neighbor that I think has rocket3 envy, used to be friendly when I had other bikes, got the r3 and iGB nored me, no comment, then little things happened like kick stanDC pad gone after 3 hr rided, tag screw removed that was really tight, etc. Until now did not lock gas cap. Could something put in there mimick my symptoms, which would explain why it did not happen again? Ran through system? Does appear a fuel starve problem cause of higher speed. Thought tonight I will try again to duplicate, not go to dealer if it does not happen.
What say you?

Last edited:
Install a camera out of sight and have your concerns validated or not. Have a data logger plugged in and see if there is anything that hits the eye on that segment of the ride.

Back