Power commander tunning pros and cons

REBLX136

Supercharged
Ride
2020 Rocket 3 R 15 Rocket Roadster
Gent I appreciate that this has probably been covered somewhere else but was hoping to get a clear idea of the pros and cons of using a dyno and power commander to tune my 2015 Rocket Roadster, as my local dyno shop won’t flash the ECU and only tune using the PCV.

Looking at running DP custom cans (not outlaws) Ramair and stock headers and crossover, thanks in advance for any advice given.

I'll try and do a summary:

1: Flash your own ECU.
2: Take it to them with a PC-V on it to dial it in.

Advantages:
Most shops will only tune via PC/Bazzaz
Finer control of fueling if you use one of the maps available here in the resources section
Larger Eco system allows you to add functions the bike doesn't and can't have with TuneECU alone

Cons:
More hardware to buy
More hardware to keep on the bike
Small, but not impossible, failure change leaving you stranded (I've only ever heard of them going bad when connected wrong)

I'll try and do a summary:

1: Flash your own ECU.
2: Take it to them with a PC-V on it to dial it in.

Advantages:
Most shops will only tune via PC/Bazzaz
Finer control of fueling if you use one of the maps available here in the resources section
Larger Eco system allows you to add functions the bike doesn't and can't have with TuneECU alone

Cons:
More hardware to buy
More hardware to keep on the bike
Small, but not impossible, failure change leaving you stranded (I've only ever heard of them going bad when connected wrong)
Thanks for the response I appreciate that the PC-V is limited as to capability and being a piggyback system not ideal, I’ll have a search through the tunes here for something more suitable and flash the ECU myself. (Using tune ECU I presume? I’m not the most up to date regarding computers) then get her down to my tuner if that’s the best option.

Going to the tuner *is* your best option.

Find the closest map for your configuration, and flash the ECU (TuneECU + LonElec cable).

Install a Power Commander-III (as noted below in the caution by @Claviger ), and ensure it has a 'zero' map.

Go to the tuner and get the bike trimmed.

Return home, and down load the PC map, import it into Tune ECU, and re-flash the ECU.

Remove the PC.

Have a wonderful day.

Last edited:
Going to the tuner *is* your best option.

Find the closest map for your configuration, and flash the ECU (TuneECU + LonElec cable).

Install the Power Commander, and ensure it has a 'zero' map.

Go to the tuner and get the bike trimmed.

Return home, and down load the PC map, import it into Tune ECU, and re-flash the ECU.

Remove the PC.

Have a wonderful day.

Makes sense but what a convoluted way to go about it just because the tuner doesn’t work with anything but power commanders!!! What would be the merit in removing it? May be a daft question but I’m new to this.

I hate to be contradictory. Don’t try to import the power commander file into TuneECU. The algorithm which handles that was designed for power commander three. You are better off just leaving the power commander on the motorcycle then trying to import the table into the ECU.

To clarify a bit about the power commander, it is a faster computer than the Khein ECU. It is far more capable than people think when set up right. You will not lose any power or a smooth throttle response using a well tuned power commander instead of a custom tuneECU tune.

As I said, get penner’s stock bike tune and flash the stock ECU. That will remove the restrictions and give improved fueling. The use PC-V tune to have it trimmed to your bike.

There is literally no reason to take it off.

To clarify a bit about the power commander, it is a faster computer than the Khein ECU. It is far more capable than people think when set up right. You will not lose any power or a smooth throttle response using a well tuned power commander instead of a custom tuneECU tune.
Schhhhh - don't tell them all or you'll never get to drink a coffee in peace again.

I hate to be contradictory. Don’t try to import the power commander file into TuneECU. The algorithm which handles that was designed for power commander three. You are better off just leaving the power commander on the motorcycle then trying to import the table into the ECU.

As I said, get penner’s stock bike tune and flash the stock ECU. That will remove the restrictions and give improved fueling. The use PC-V tune to have it trimmed to your bike.

There is literally no reason to take it off.
Thanks for the clarification, like I said bit of a sprig when it comes to tuning, had Powercommsnders on bikes before, but they came with them and already mapped so left them alone... one question, “penners stock tune” presume a search is warranted and how does it differ from the stock now?

Gent I appreciate that this has probably been covered somewhere else but was hoping to get a clear idea of the pros and cons of using a dyno and power commander to tune my 2015 Rocket Roadster, as my local dyno shop won’t flash the ECU and only tune using the PCV.

Looking at running DP custom cans (not outlaws) Ramair and stock headers and crossover, thanks in advance for any advice given.
HI BSD in Peterborough tune via the ECU.Happy with the results

Back