Powder coating project

IngrahamS

.040 Over
Ride
Sold my Rocket need another...
Not sure if this is the right section for this, Just got finished taking 24 pieces off my 06 classic and figured I'd share for anyone looking at possibly doing the same thing. My main reason for powder coating is because I'm not a big fan of chrome. i couldn't get rid of all of it because it doesn't have the black motor so i kept some chrome accents. The fork tubes will be done this winter. Here are the in progress pictures for you guys, i should have everything back next friday.

Attachments

• DSCF0003.jpg
    DSCF0003.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 196
  • DSCF0005.jpg
    DSCF0005.jpg
    204.8 KB · Views: 184
  • DSCF0004.jpg
    DSCF0004.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 181
flagging this thread-

i too am not a big fan of the shiny chrome
what color are you using for your powdercoat?

i've been thinking of just doing a titanium finish, would still have some shine but much more subdued and no where near as bright

why would anyone want to get rid of chrome?

have a few more to do next winter. Probably the engine guards, front fixings, and windscreen hardware.

good luck

That bike looks great, I'm goin the same route only i am doing gloss black on everything except the mufflers which have to be semi gloss, I'm leaving the slash cut tips chrome.

Could one of you walk a powder coating ignoramus through the process? I like the look and I have thought several times of trying it but I don't know where to start. Do you have to prep the parts in any way? Does it matter how many parts you have or how big or small they are? How do the companies that do this price a job and how expensive is it? I assume they have a color chart that you pick from, so do you have to go in advance to set the job up and make an appointment? Sorry if this is basic stuff.

I am by no means a expert, powdercaoting is a baked on coating that is tougher than paint, the powder is attracted to the piece by a electric current going through the part, after it has been covered it is baked at 400*. Because of the charge and the baking it is only for metal/conductive parts. I am doing 24 pieces and from what the guy told me the sand blasting or "texturing" as he called it is very time consuming. This is costing me $650. I did not shop arond for this but he is a friend of mines uncle so i know i'm not getting screwed and i have seen his work. there are tons of colors to choose from. Hope this helps and someone else may chime in if I am wrong or missing something about the powdercoating.
-Stew

Well finally got all the pieces back lastnight and got the bike back together. I'm really happy with how it turned out, finish is awesome. I have some ideas for some more things to be done this winter.

Attachments

• DSCF0021.jpg
    DSCF0021.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 153
  • DSCF0022.jpg
    DSCF0022.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCF0023.jpg
    DSCF0023.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 124
more.............

Attachments

• DSCF0024.jpg
    DSCF0024.jpg
    217.1 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCF0025.jpg
    DSCF0025.jpg
    212.5 KB · Views: 100
  • DSCF0026.jpg
    DSCF0026.jpg
    216 KB · Views: 112
Sure looks sweet.
Now that you've seen it all back together, do you like your chrome tips as much as you thought you would, or do you wish your entire exhause was black.
Looks good.

Back