Potential Purchase of a Rocket

Ray Cosh

Standard Bore
Ride
Triumph America
G'day All, I'm considering moving up to a Rocket from the current America I now have, I'm looking for something a bit more comfy and more capable for two up longer rides. I've come across a 2009 model that's done 38,500kms, although I haven't got to see it yet. It's got a bit of fruit on it, sissy bar, saddle bags etc. regularly serviced, new fork seals, battery and rear tyre apparently. I was just wondering if there's anything in particular I should be checking or concerned about as I really don't know a lot about the Rockets.
I live in Albany Western Australia, where it's currently 11.05 am and a beautiful sunny morning.
i hope everyone is having a great day.
Cheers Ray.

You'll want to see if the shocks are OEM or aftermarket. For 2 up the OEM work OK (solo not so much). You didn't state what iteration you're considering (Classic, Standard, Touring, Roadster).

WELCOME to our R3 Family Forum! Yes, the version of Rocket is important to know but regardless, if you pull the trigger be prepared for a new Perma-Grin :thumbsup: :cool: BTW, I started on an America and moved to a Thunderbird before my current R3T. Going from an America to a Rocket will be quite the change...
-MIG

You'll love the Rocket. Lots of good roads to ride around Albany as well.

btw, is the Earl of Spencer still there?

You'll love the Rocket. Lots of good roads to ride around Albany as well.

btw, is the Earl of Spencer still there?
Yeah you're not wrong, there's some awesome rides around Albany for sure, and yes the Earl is still going strong, I haven't been there myself for a while but it's still going.
Did you holiday here?

WELCOME to our R3 Family Forum! Yes, the version of Rocket is important to know but regardless, if you pull the trigger be prepared for a new Perma-Grin :thumbsup: :cool: BTW, I started on an America and moved to a Thunderbird before my current R3T. Going from an America to a Rocket will be quite the change...
-MIG
Thanks for the welcome, it'll be quite the jump alright, I've ridden my mate's Thunderbird, they're a great bike too.
I'll take it steady, steady when I get it, I've always loved the look of the Rocket and can't wait to throw a leg over one.

You'll want to see if the shocks are OEM or aftermarket. For 2 up the OEM work OK (solo not so much). You didn't state what iteration you're considering (Classic, Standard, Touring, Roadster).
Thanks for the feedback, I reckon it's probably the Touring model. I'm not 100% sure but it has the pillion seat, sissy bar and saddle bags etc.

I did the same thing a few years ago, went from a 2002 Bonneville America to a 2008 Rocket III Touring and I love it!
I'm really looking forward to it, did you find it a massive change that took you long to get used to, being much bigger I mean?

Back