POTENTIAL OWNER

XB12X

.020 Over
Ride
Suzuki B-King, Yamaha MT-01, Buell Ulysses
I have admired the Rocket 3 Roadster since it came out. I took a test ride at Triumph Chigwell, just north of London in 2010, but I was emigrating to Portugal with a bike in my van, and a Rocket would have been too big judging from how my Buell Ulysses only just fitted. I could buy one now, though. I've noticed there seems to be quite a few threads regarding slight problems (electrical etc). Have these been ironed out? Are the 2016 Rockets more reliable than the earlier ones? Or am I exaggerating the earlier ones' foibles?

The only people who gripe about a thing are the people who have a problem. There are far more Rockets running around than are ever mentioned here. Of course very few people in this forum have problems either, and we are here to exchange maintenance and performance tips. Buy a Rocket....your other bikes will rust away, forgotten, when you do .

I must admit I am seriously tempted. Sell the B-King, MT-01 and the Ulysses. Buy the Rocket and a supermoto.
Hi
I have had issues with my 2007 classic.
Second gear kept jumping out and the cam chain tensioner gave up at 12000 miles and bent all exhaust valves.
Triumph have re designed the second gear but not admitted that there was a problem. why re-design if no problem?
I love riding my rocket, the power and torque is addictive.
Here on the roads in Gibraltar and Spain i have to be careful because i am always
spinning up the rear and roundabouts can get interesting with a little drifting but as long as you are careful with the right wrist
it's not problem.
Regarding your MT01, what is it like to ride? I have always liked the idea of a big V twin in a road bike. I used to have an XB9R, man I loved that bike.
Bought it new in 2002 and brought it over to Gib In 2006. wish i had never sold it.

I love my '16 R3R but I would be lying if i said it was perfect from the outset.

1. When I first got it, it had serious stalling issues on hard decel with the clutch pulled in. The dealer ended up setting the TPS to .62 to combat the drop in idle which put the stepper at .76. Higher than what all the TPS/ISCV adjustment posts here mention

2. All 4 turn signal wires were "backwards". The hot wire was on the side post instead of the bottom post. On incandescent light it is not a problem, for LEDs they won't work. Not a big issue until you have to take the lights apart for a second time to fix the wiring.

Otherwise, all is good

I must admit I am seriously tempted. Sell the B-King, MT-01 and the Ulysses. Buy the Rocket and a supermoto.

The MT-01 is like a giant XB12 without the top end. It really is a cruiser engine in a sports bike chassis. At 3,000 rpm in top you're doing 130 kph, so it's relaxed. It's very nice to ride and disguises its 245 kg (dry) very well. I still have my XB12X, but it needs putting on Portuguese plates before I can ride/sell it.

Did you move to Gibraltar from England?

Yes back in 2006 then across the border in spain to alcaidesa. I commute over the frontier every day as I work in the dockyard.
I run a Africa twin in the ****ty weather and the Rocket on better days.

I have two Rockets the first one I bought brand new in 2005 now over 70000miles later no trouble at all in fact I doubt anyone on this site has a more reliable Rocket than my 2005, buy the bike and ride it if it breaks down we will help you get it going as we have done with many a rider.

Back