Potential new R3T owner

Kendan

.040 Over
Ride
2015 Rocket III Touring
Hello all from Canada. I'm currently in the process of purchasing a new bike and at the top of my list is a new '15 Rocket iii touring. (I almost signed the papers yesterday, but decided to wait a couple days) I've poked around online to do a bit of research on the bike but was hoping to get a bit of feedback from current owners. No bike is perfect of course, but are there any ongoing issues with this bike? Have any of the potential earlier issues been taken care of in newer models? I do intend on keeping it for a while and likely won't part with it until 60, or 70k km's so I am looking for a reliable ride. So, would you buy a Rocket iii again?
My number two option is a pre-owned 2014 Trophy SE that seemed to be nicely upgraded and taken care of. The dealer literally got this on trade the same day I had a look at the R3T. I like the functionality of the trophy (size of the fairing, storage, and the electronic gadgets) but love the look and ride of a cruiser so I am having a difficult time deciding between the two. As well the Trophy did have some earlier issues, and being a '14 its off warranty in about a month so that makes me a bit wary of all the electronics on the trophy. My third choice is a '15 Thunderbird Commander, but its a bit of a distant 3rd as I'll have to spend some extra cash on a screen, bags etc. (I'm not too fond of the LT).

I would really like to give Triumph a go this time around.

Any feedback would be appreciated. Hopefully I'll make my purchase this week.

Safe riding.

Hello Kendan and welcome from Virginia. I have the 2014 R3T with 36K miles on it now. My problems have been mainly due to not having a garage, just a cover to keep it under and the fact that I ride it all year except in the snow and ice. If you hvae a nice shelter I think it will last forever. But really, this is no different than any other bike and maybe a tad bit better than some brands. I ride 10-12 hours at times with no worries in comfort and I take my Pretty Pillion on weekend trips without worry for carrying space. Of course, the OEM battery is only good to about 12F when it is new. I had to upgrade that one this winter.
Good luck and I hope you do go Rocket!

Welcome from central California! I purchased my 2016 R3R about a month ago and it is the baddest bike on the planet. I didn't do much research but what info I did get was all positive. The Rockets seem to be bullet proof, they don't seem to have any serious mechanical problems and a lot of the pilots on this forum have really racked up some miles and these beasts. My first Triumph was the T-100 and this bike has the same reliability and reputation for dependability as anything on the road. Me personally will own nothing but Triumph and my rocket is the best. Very comfortable and the power is second to none with plenty of mods for more power. You can't go wrong if you decide the Rocket!

There is no other street legal motorcycle that compares to the Rocket III, Kendan, so comparisons to a Trophy or Thunderbird are essentially foolish undertakings. it really comes down to what kind of motorcycle will make you the happiest. Is it the unique bruiser cruiser, a decent, but common sport-tourer or a very nice v-twin cruiser that is not terribl unlike a half dozen others of its sort. Only you can make that call and the best way to do that is to ride e'm all and see which one speaks to you the most persuasively.

It strikes me, though, that you really don't know what it is you really want, so long as it fits into a specific budget. If it were me in your place, that would be my starting point - figuring out what type of motorcycle I'd be happiest with.

BTW, you really ought to ride the new Triumph Thruxton R. That will really get your head twisted up like a pretzel!:roll:

Witness:

Last edited:
I am thinking if you rode the Rocket and you are having second thoughts then perhaps the Rockets not for you....Usually once you have ridden one there are no
ifs or buts you have GOT to have it...

Hello and welcome from a wet today UK...

Just do it!!! You won't be sorry, best bike I've ever owned. Just a couple of small issues when new not a problem since.

Back