Port-a-chopper anyone ?

Joesmoe

IMOKUR2
Ride
Triumph: 2014 Rocket III Touring
Anyone have one of these, or any experience with them ?

I saw this ad in the back of the recent American Motorcyclist - publication of the American Motorcycle Association:

http://www.portachopper.com

Seems an intriguing alternative to trying to pack everything for two on the Rocket, or towing a trailer with the Rocket with all that entails.

I could see the appeal of pounding the slab in a car on the way to nice places, then having the bike when one arrives.

They seem a bit pricey . . . don't know how many trips it would take to pay off the trailer vs. shipping the bike.

Ok joe here my two cents.
Good friend of mine had the porta chopper,rusted out pretty good after 3 years ( he wished he bought the galvanized model) lots of use. On rough roads the trailer would bounce around pretty good, even with the bikes on the back.
He trashed it after 5 years and bought a 8x16 cargo trailer. Best move is the cargo trailer now you have dry storage for your bikes and other equipment.
My friends biggest complaint with the porta chopper was the bike were filthy after towing, just a little rain was all that was needed.
Bikes are always exposed to the elements, no security, dirt and road rash from exposed towing are the biggest downfall to me.
If you were going to buy one to tow your bikes to a short distance, I'd say it a good deal, but in the long haul cargo trailer is the way to go.
I will be buying a cargo trailer myself as soon as funds allow.
IMHO

JM2C.... I'm lucky enough to have friends with many trailers. I looked into buying my own awhile back and just couldn't see spending that kind of money on how cheaply some of them were built. If i was going to do it again i'd have one built by a reputable welder/fabricator. You might want to haunt the want-adds for deals that pop up from divorces and deaths ...:( I know a girl in Massachusetts that got a $40k horse trailer in Tenn. for $20K. I wouldn't buy anything unless you personally checked it out. That Stinger looks pretty good but i don't know anything about it. Rider mag. gave it a good review.. http://www.ridermagazine.com/gear/stinger-folding-motorcycle-trailer-review.htm/

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5335943355&icep_item=181636377319

Last edited:
Just bought a new snowmobile trailer. May get a wheel lock to use IF I ever have to transport. I could actually get 2 Rockets in it.

Anyone have one of these, or any experience with them ?

I saw this ad in the back of the recent American Motorcyclist - publication of the American Motorcycle Association:

http://www.portachopper.com

Seems an intriguing alternative to trying to pack everything for two on the Rocket, or towing a trailer with the Rocket with all that entails.

I could see the appeal of pounding the slab in a car on the way to nice places, then having the bike when one arrives.

They seem a bit pricey . . . don't know how many trips it would take to pay off the trailer vs. shipping the bike.

Now you're gonna have four cents worth as I agree with Jag. I've had a 8 X 10 cargo for years and it works out great not only for hauling my bike but also for permanent storage as well. I never had enough room in the garage so I have parked my bikes in the cargo trailer for years. When stored in the garage, I often found my bike just covered with moisture. It doesn't take long before the chrome becomes pitted or worse. A good cargo setup provides for a dryer and cleaner storage. With a small heater running in the winter, it keeps things slightly warmer. When I take it out in the spring, it is just as pristine and clean as when I put it away, I don't even cover it. I've had to take my bikes in for repair when they were questionable to drive and it has been great for that. I setup external and internal power outlets and even an AC unit so it serve a lot of purposes. It allows for my Optimate to keep my battery charged as well. I would never haul my bike or store my bike in the garage again. Moisture to me is one of the biggest problem as far as I'm concerned.

Those are good two cents, thank you.

I resonate with all your points, and guess I'll just wait too.
further as a decent cargo trailer runs about $2000 i BOUGHT A TWO HORSE TRAILER WITH A RAMP and DUAL AXLES with brakes on the rear axle $1100 used. tracks true best trailer ever built like a brick s**thouse had to shovel off the horses**t though

It will also depend on which vehicle you are using to tow it. My Camaro has a 1,000lb towing capacity, so a horse trailer may be a bit heavy, with the RIII in it. o_O

It will also depend on which vehicle you are using to tow it. My Camaro has a 1,000lb towing capacity, so a horse trailer may be a bit heavy, with the RIII in it. o_O

Just the r3 is almost to heavy for your camero to tow by its self.

I'm in a no-win situation (well, at least trailering the bike) in that my choice of vehicles for transportation (I frequently bicycle to work, and when I don't, I take the motorcycle - and lest you question my commitment, we insisted our two daughters obtain their driver's license on the motorcycle before we'd let them drive a car) doesn't include any appreciable towing, and as such, the little skeleton of a trailer about which I first inquired would be about all I could handle.

We makes our bed, and we sleeps in it.

Thank you for all the good thoughts.

Still, with the bottom falling out of the price of petrol, more and more I hear folks saying something similar to, "I thought about selling [insert big, gas-guzzling vehicle here], but with the price of gas/diesel, ahh f___ it."

Who knows, maybe with the suggestion of the cargo trailer -- a used one at that -- I might find one with the tow vehicle part of the deal, and . . . who knows ?

Back