Popped a fork seal.......

Sidecar Flip

Living Legend
20150 Mc Carty Rd. Deerfield, Michigan 49238
As luck would have it, I have a weeping fork seal on the right side. I firse noticed the brake disc getting oily and looked closer. Had a bit of oil laying on the caliper mounting boss and the telltale oil/crud on the slider.:(

Time for seals. Well, maybe after ES. Looks like it's going to be a big job. Inasmuch as they are cartridge forks, I'm going to remove them completely (both) and put new seals in both plus change the oil. I'll most likely check the starting torque on the head bearings as wll.

Nuth'in like good luck.

Time For A Change

Flip, I keep seeing all this info on Progressive and Wilber's replacement springs for the Rocket. Heavier springs and heavier oil. Better front end handling.

Any truth to them being better? Are you switching or staying with OEM?

At least one inquiring mind wants to know!

I need to change my fork oil and was wondering about going to different springs. I think I will try the Wilbers. I like the name. Keep us informed about how big a job the fork seals are, Flip.

Flip, I keep seeing all this info on Progressive and Wilber's replacement springs for the Rocket. Heavier springs and heavier oil. Better front end handling.

Any truth to them being better? Are you switching or staying with OEM?

At least one inquiring mind wants to know!

Heavier oil and heavier springs will cause a harsher ride without modifying the valving on the damper rod. I put Progressive, progressively wound springs in the Bonnie's forks and then took them out.

Dave:

The forks are Kayaba made to Triumph's specification. The manual calls out for '0' weight in the specification section and 5wt in the fork disassembly section. I'm going to go with the 5 weight. None of the dealers in the Ohio/Michigan area have the seals so I ordered them from Bike Bandit. I'm going to replace both sides complete, seals, dust seals, circlips and lower sealing washers. The forks are cartridge, that is, on normal forks, when you take the upper caps off, there will be a spacer and then the spring. On R3 forks, the spring is retained by the damper rod so you have to relieve the spring tension and remove the damper rod nut and then remove the lower bolt that retains the damper rod. Typical of newer forks is there is no provision for draining the fork oil other than disassembly.

If, I can't get the parts before ES. I'll ride the bike as is (with 2 discs that stop and one that squeals) and do it when I get back. Each fork holds 663cc of oil so I'm not too concerned about running out and, if I did and I destroyed the bushing, I'd just make another in the shop. I have many sizes of 660CA bearing bronze rounds available. If, I can't get it done before ES, I'll machine the lower leg(s) for a draining provision with a hex cap screw and a sealing washer.

I'm not going to replace the seals myself (I'm doing both sides simply because if one side is leaking and I have to completely strip the front end ((Windshiled, lowers, fender, brakes, etc)) why not replace them both). I'm going to have Adam at Thunder Cycle do it. I'll take the forks in to him. Adam is a good friend but I can't see paying him 65 bucks an hour to strip the front end when I can do that.

I can't understand why modern fork assemblies don't have a provision to drain them other than cost constraints. When forks compress and rebound, you created a small vacuum in the fork itself and dirt and grime gets pulled past the dust seals, the fork seals and contaminates the oil. My fork oil is already dark. Would be nice to change it regularly.

My opinion is out on the Wilburs springs. The compression damping on my forks is fine as is the rebound. If anything, I'd like a little softer compression dampening which I can achieve by either enlarging the holes in the rod or adding another set, but other than that, the fromt forks are fine. It's not like there is a lot of travel anyway. Total travel is 120mm, which is about 4". In the realm of things, that's not much. My KLR has 9" of useable travel in the front forks and 7" of travel in the rear. The KLR rides measurably better than the Rocket, especially on bumpy roads at speed. Of course the KLR is designed for off road, not something a Rocket is for.

After my experience with Progressive springs on the Bonnie, I'll stay with the OEM springs and enlarge the holes a bit in the damper rod so the compression dampening is less harsh.

You have to understand the springs merely suspend the motorcycle. The damper rods control the action of the forks. If you go to a heavier weight oil, it's like having smaller holes in the damper rod, the oil will not flow through as quickly and that slows the action of both compression and rebound down and it will make for a harsher ride.

In as much as I don't have the springs out yet (I surely ain't gonna disassemble the thing until I have the parts).....I know you guys would be pissed if I showed up at ES on the KLR......:D, I don't know if the OEM spring is straight wound or progressively wound.

I do know from the seat of my pants that the suspension in the front is lacking a bit in compresion compliance, that is, it is harsh on compression dampening. That can be fixed by enlarging the lower holes (or machining another set) at the lower end of the damper rod. Upping the SAE weight of the fork oil or going to another spring won't change anything other than make the suspension even stiffer. The spring change will effect the suspension over it's total travel as will the oil. My rebound dampening is fine as is my sit-in height. That's is the height at which the bike sits with you on it, That's also referred to as suspension sag. The front forks on the Rocket have quite a bit of stiction, that is, it takes a bit of force to get them to begin to travel but there are no low friction seals available so I'll have to live with that.

The easiest test of compression damping is riding the bike down a road with frost cracks. When the bike crosses the cracks, if the front end jumps, the compression dampening is too harsh, that is, the lower holes in the dampening rod aren't allowing the oil to pass easily enough. That translates into a less than compliant suspension.

Wilbers progressive fork springs are much better than stock. The require SAE 7.5 grade oil, though. Jamie

Jamie:

Is that 'seat of the pants' better or they say they are better? with 120 mm of total travel, I'd say it's the latter. Remember, it's not the springs but the orfices in the damper rod that control the ride compliance. The movement of the oil and the weight of the oil is what translates to the ride comfort. This bike is about ride comfort at least for me. The compression dampening is too harsh and I'll fix that but it won't be with a spring change but rather additional orfices or enlarging the present ones (I'll have to see how many there are with the rods out). I could go with a lighter weight oil but you have to remember that the lighter weight the oil is, the easier it becomes to leak past the fork seals, which is what I have going on at present.

I also had a leaking fork seal. Noticed when I took the bike in for the 10,000 mile service. Dealer was great about it - put in for warranty replacement under warranty, requested Triumph cover replacing both seals.

Triumph approved, no problem - pleasant surprise!:)

I have a couple of things not going for me. One, the bike is out of warranty and two, the nearest dealer is a hundred miles away and neither dealer (Detroit or Kalamazoo) has the parts in stock anyway. My right side has been weeping since the bike was new and in retrospect, I should have made issue of it then, but I didn't. It just decided to get worse all of a sudden.

If I can't get the parts soon enough, I'll just go to ES anyway. The right disc just gets black and squeaks. Worst case scenario is I score the bushing but I can pop one out in a minute in the shop so no biggie. If I wind up scoring the slider (that would be a really remote possibility), that would give me a real good excuse to have the hard chrome stripped and replaced with Titanium Nitride which would reduce the stiction measurably. Besides, the 'gold' colored TiN coating is all the rage on ****** rockets today anyway.

I don't know if the OEM spring is straight wound or progressively wound.

They are straight Flip.What did ya expect.Wait till ya see the thickness of the spacers.Pvc or abs tubing would work better. How many miles ya got?

Last edited:
Back