Pondering on making some lowers....

Bedifferent

Old man on a bike
Ride
2015 Rocket 3 Touring
I'm not sure I should post this yet, but I thought I would throw it out there......So I have been working on some ideas for some lowers for my rocket touring. I bought some
1 1/4" P-Clamps to go around my crash bars for fastening the aluminum panels I plan to cut and shape. I bought 4 of the clamps, but I may need a couple more if I decide to go through with the project. At $23.00 a pop, I am going to have to work fast if I want to return them to Amazon in 30 days should I change my mind. I estimate the whole project will run about $200.00 if I take it to completion. That probably doesn't include any powder coating.

Anyway, I thought I would use some 0.093 aluminum which is pretty tough, but something that can still be shaped a little if needed. I'm also thinking about using some 1/8" X 3/4 aluminum flats for a skeleton behind the sheet aluminum to stiffen things and provide some solid anchor points for the P-Clamps. As you can see, I am still developing a final pattern for the right side (several more try's should do it) and I'm sure 3 or 4 patterns will be required to get the left side correct as well. At least the outside of the pattern should be close to the same as the right side pattern I'm working on. Once completed I will probably have them powder coated for a nice finish.

My main intent is to provide a little protection from cooler temperatures and help keep my feet stay warmer which is what I seem to have the biggest problem with. Perhaps some electric socks would be an easier way to go...hmmm....but I digress.

I have several requirements for my project.

1. They need to look good and not something ugly that doesn't fit.

2. I want the part closest to the radiator housing to be angle forward sloping the lowers back for directing air out and around. They can't just be flat against the crash bar.

3. They can't extend out beyond the crash bars in any way. This is just in case the bike ever lays over on the bars for some reason (you know what I'm talking about as there was a whole post dedicated to that topic). I could have them extend out above the highway pegs, but I'm not sure I want to do that.

4. I need to create enough clearance around my highway pegs so I can still pass a strap through the opening allowing me to tie the bike down for trailering if needed. One of my strapping points is just above the highway pegs on the crash bar.

I'm still thinking about air flow through them on a hot day, although I have never noticed any radiator heat on a normal day. Designing that feature will be a whole new nightmare. I am also contemplating not having them come all the way up to the top of the crash bar, but rather about midway between the highway pegs and the top of the bar. I'm also still playing with a little air foil flip at the top of the lower no matter what height I decide on.

The design and my pondering is not completed yet...have I missed anything? Here is the pattern, so far, with several more adjustments still needed. Yes or No?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 4
I'll take some pictures of mine after work today. OK!

Cushioned P clamps - I use Carbon Fibre reinforced rubber. I would STRONGLY recommend that you direct airflow IN at the engine The Exhausts and Oil tank will start to roast you otherwise.

I started doing EXACTLY what you described. I have the Roasted Calves to prove it.

Also if you have after-market filters on - Direct the hot air down and away from the claw. I took almost 5°C off the AIT by doing the latter.

Sorry - have to go to work - Pictures later - I promise.

Last edited:
I have been pondering a set of lowers for some time now too. A build hasn't started as I am working a trunk right now that will need a planned re-work come winter, but my ideas have followed similar to yours. I have been thinking aluminum diamond plate. Thats really all the further I've made it with design.

I'll take some pictures of mine after work today. OK!

Cushioned P clamps - I use Carbon Fibre reinforced rubber. I would STRONGLY recommend that you direct airflow IN at the engine The Exhausts and Oil tank will start to roast you otherwise.

I started doing EXACTLY what you described. I have the Roasted Calves to prove it.

Also if you have after-market filters on - Direct the hot air down and away from the claw. I took almost 5°C off the AIT by doing the latter.

Sorry - have to go to work - Pictures later - I promise.

Interesting you angled them back. Maybe being too warm was one of the reasons why I thought about not making them quite as tall. I really think just a little of protection above where my pegs are mounted would be enough and still allow some reasonable air flow. As a result comments, I may opt to shorten them up. That was my original plan and for that I would only need the 4 clamps.

I have used the cushioned P-Clamps before on other projects and they work okay. The Kuryakyn clamps (although pricy) will look the best. Still pondering and waiting for your pictures

I have been pondering a set of lowers for some time now too. A build hasn't started as I am working a trunk right now that will need a planned re-work come winter, but my ideas have followed similar to yours. I have been thinking aluminum diamond plate. Thats really all the further I've made it with design.

The diamond plate was also a thought, but I have seen it on too many things like decking and RV's. I decided it might look a little tacky and since I can get the smooth plate locally, I think I'm going to stick with that. It will be interesting to see yours when they are finished as well.

I gave some thought to lowers, but as I do MOST of my riding in warm weather I should rather have plenty of air flow. In cooler weather, I get plenty heat from the engine anyway.

I'm not sure I should post this yet, but I thought I would throw it out there......So I have been working on some ideas for some lowers for my rocket touring. I bought some
1 1/4" P-Clamps to go around my crash bars for fastening the aluminum panels I plan to cut and shape. I bought 4 of the clamps, but I may need a couple more if I decide to go through with the project. At $23.00 a pop, I am going to have to work fast if I want to return them to Amazon in 30 days should I change my mind. I estimate the whole project will run about $200.00 if I take it to completion. That probably doesn't include any powder coating.

Anyway, I thought I would use some 0.093 aluminum which is pretty tough, but something that can still be shaped a little if needed. I'm also thinking about using some 1/8" X 3/4 aluminum flats for a skeleton behind the sheet aluminum to stiffen things and provide some solid anchor points for the P-Clamps. As you can see, I am still developing a final pattern for the right side (several more try's should do it) and I'm sure 3 or 4 patterns will be required to get the left side correct as well. At least the outside of the pattern should be close to the same as the right side pattern I'm working on. Once completed I will probably have them powder coated for a nice finish.

My main intent is to provide a little protection from cooler temperatures and help keep my feet stay warmer which is what I seem to have the biggest problem with. Perhaps some electric socks would be an easier way to go...hmmm....but I digress.

I have several requirements for my project.

1. They need to look good and not something ugly that doesn't fit.

2. I want the part closest to the radiator housing to be angle forward sloping the lowers back for directing air out and around. They can't just be flat against the crash bar.

3. They can't extend out beyond the crash bars in any way. This is just in case the bike ever lays over on the bars for some reason (you know what I'm talking about as there was a whole post dedicated to that topic). I could have them extend out above the highway pegs, but I'm not sure I want to do that.

4. I need to create enough clearance around my highway pegs so I can still pass a strap through the opening allowing me to tie the bike down for trailering if needed. One of my strapping points is just above the highway pegs on the crash bar.

I'm still thinking about air flow through them on a hot day, although I have never noticed any radiator heat on a normal day. Designing that feature will be a whole new nightmare. I am also contemplating not having them come all the way up to the top of the crash bar, but rather about midway between the highway pegs and the top of the bar. I'm also still playing with a little air foil flip at the top of the lower no matter what height I decide on.

The design and my pondering is not completed yet...have I missed anything? Here is the pattern, so far, with several more adjustments still needed. Yes or No?

There are aftermarket wind deflectors mounted to the frame for the Goldwings and Valkyries. They can pivot so one can direct air away to towards the motor. Ugly but they work. Your paper prototype looks good. Chrome pivots with clear plastic folding back to drive air to the motor, nice.

s-l1600.jpg

There are aftermarket wind deflectors mounted to the frame for the Goldwings and Valkyries. They can pivot so one can direct air away to towards the motor. Ugly but they work. Your paper prototype looks good. Chrome pivots with clear plastic folding back to drive air to the motor, nice.

s-l1600.jpg

Yuukkk!!! They sure are UGLY, especially in that yellowish plastic.

Back