planning ride to Scotland

TomScott

.020 Over
Ride
2012 R3 touring
Hi looking to plan a ride up to Scotland with my partner
any ides on good routes and place to go not taken bike that far up north hope natives are friendly :)

Well, we Scots Irish in the States are nice folks. I think native Scots are cool too....and if it comes to blows, you want them on your side!

I've heard the problem with Scotland is that it's full of Scott's. I've also heard the problem with France is that it's full of French. That being said I hope to visit Europe some day, meet the people and make my own observations.

The Scots love the Welsh even those from North wales:D same as most places treat them right and you will be fine piss us off and you will be talking like Bonnie Tyler:eek: remember and dress appropriately especially the further North you go the weather can change in a heartbeat.

The further North you go the beer gets stronger and the punches get harder...get yourself 3 packets of hangover tablets,a good quality gumshield and you,ll have a blast:D:thumbsup:

Gumshield not needed but get an iron plate to cove your forehead with(yes forehead you perverts) When Scots fight our head is the main weapon of choice and it can be very effective. Please wipe your feet and wheels when you cross from England into Scotland it is the law.:D

Biggest problem in the summer on either of the two main routes North to the Highlands A9 & A82 are just horrible - getting frustrated behind caravans is almost certainty.

From Forth Bridge, and Dunfermline, take A823 then A822 to Crieff;
From there either left on A85 to A82 on up to Ft William or Right then A822 again up through Amulree to Dunkel if you want to get back to A9
The A86 from Spean Bridge to Kingussie that crosses from the A82 Ft William to Inverness over to the A9 to Inverness is a nice road - it's not challenging but really pretty road and tends to be quite quiet even in summer.
Over to Skye via A87 (off the A82) should definitely be on your itinerary

Biggest problem in the summer on either of the two main routes North to the Highlands A9 & A82 are just horrible - getting frustrated behind caravans is almost certainty.

From Forth Bridge, and Dunfermline, take A823 then A822 to Crieff;
From there either left on A85 to A82 on up to Ft William or Right then A822 again up through Amulree to Dunkel if you want to get back to A9
The A86 from Spean Bridge to Kingussie that crosses from the A82 Ft William to Inverness over to the A9 to Inverness is a nice road - it's not challenging but really pretty road and tends to be quite quiet even in summer.
Over to Skye via A87 (off the A82) should definitely be on your itinerary

did the northern scotland 15 years ago ..single lane most everywhere ,
once slept in a B&B that was a lighthouse at the end of the world it seemed .
loved every days just two bikes no plan but fabulous trip , stopped at Lizzie castle balmoral I think was the name took a pic just in case

Minges SUCK!!
The Green Wellie stop for fuel/food.
Skye Island, Applecross Pass is awesome!!!
Applecross Inn had the BEST fried Haddock ever! (and I've had it fresh off the boat here for 50 years)
Inverness was fun, hotel had JUMPIN bar.
Ride along the Loch Ness at dusk, wheelying out of the corners!

Back