albertaduke

former airline pilot without the big bucks
Ride
2021 rocket3 GT
OK!! here is a simple question as I hear different opinions from supposedly expert in my corner of the world . can pistons be removed and replaced while keeping the engine block in the frame ????

Yes ,the pistons can be done without taking the block out. Check out Torque Addicts Posts 05/12/15

Absolutely. Pretty awkward at times but not a problem. Just have to pop off the head and pull the cylinder liners. it's in the manual.
I think warp9.9 has done it both ways, i.e. from on top and underneath (don't have to remove the liners)

Last edited:
thanks to all of you who answered I told the mechanic I had contacted for the job in no uncertain terms to shove his procedure and to forget about his way to do business ,I was uncertain about the way to do it but seems we will start by doing it from bottom hence not disturb the stretched headbolts although I bought new bolts and head gasket just in case

Les is right you pull the sump pan then the 8 main bearing ladder bolts along with the oil lines and windage tray. Then the crankshaft is exposed so you can take the rod caps off like a regular engine. I found this easier then pulling liners. Same going back rods on pistons ring compressor on and down the hole she goes. OEM rod bolts get tossed and new ones installed.

Les is right you pull the sump pan then the 8 main bearing ladder bolts along with the oil lines and windage tray. Then the crankshaft is exposed so you can take the rod caps off like a regular engine. I found this easier then pulling liners. Same going back rods on pistons ring compressor on and down the hole she goes. OEM rod bolts get tossed and new ones installed.
thank you thank you I get the whole picture now as I have already bought a set of new headbolts and headgasket (pricey gasket ) just in case top had to come off .I need to buy the rods bolts according to your advice too bad pistons and rods won't slide out from the bottom

Back