Pin Locks and Visors?

Rocket3Pilot

Supercharged
Ride
2013 Rocket III Roadster
Some time ago I posted an opinion about the Schubert C3Pro helmet and it's shortcomings. I've modified it several times to try to improve the ventilation (non-existent in my opinion) and the noise level. I wear trifocal lens glasses so I have never even tried the pin lock. I can't imagine adding another layer of glare and refraction. So I'm kinda fanatical about having my face shield perfectly clean, constantly taking it off the helmet at every other stop and cleaning it. So one day I take it off to clean again and think, "wait a minute, I have a windshield and glasses why do I need this stinkin face shield"?

The immediate surprise was how much quieter the helmet was! I thought I was imagining it so after about 10 miles I stopped and put the face shield back on, and again it was several decibels louder?

Needless to say, I don't use the face shield anymore and I finally like the C3Pro. I now have a quite ride with good ventilation and I still retain the ability to flip down the inner sun shade if I need it.

Just thought I'd mention it for what its worth, made a huge difference for me. You might give it a try with your particular setup and see?

I wear trifocals and put a pinlock shield in my visor....no problem at all. I have the Harley version of an HJC IS-Max, and glare was not a problem before the pinlock thingy nor after. In fact, if you fit properly, you won't notice it. But as for noise, which seems to be the focus here....I find it's a good bit quieter with shield down....on my Rocket....on my Intruder it makes no difference, and especially on my Intruder, shield down only redirects the airflow...it doesn't diminish it. So weird.....the Intruder is such a chopper like bike....that I'd sooner ride it with no helmet...but that's a no no in Virginia as you know!

Ya, I don't think it would work for me without the windshield (which is the Corbin, BTW), but I was really astonished by the noise reduction and of course the visibility is way better. Riding with no helmet at all would never be an option for me, even if it were legal, but lots of people do and they should have the right to.

I had the same issues with the shield on my Bell Bullitt. Noisiest helmet I have ever had with the shield down.
I now have Schuberth M1 and I love it! Tis remarkably quiet for an open face, very comfortable, lightweight and well made. I do not recommend the Schuberth communication system as it is weak. The Sena S10 is WAY BETTER!

Ya, I have been using the Sena S20 and think it's fantastic. I'd love to try the Schubert M1, just not sure if I can do an open face lid any more? It looks like a great helmet. No Schubert dealers anywhere near me so I'd have to "buy to try".

My head is the Library of Alexandria, possibly the most valuable object in the Western world, I don't mind spending money on helmets. ;)

I'm not a huge Schuberth fan, tbh, I think they're overpriced. But of course, to each his own. Another drawback with their modulars is that they don't stay shut in testing. All Nolan helmets get a 100% "front stayed shut" rating over at the UK SHARP testing site, because of metal hinges and latches I would imagine. Also, the opening mechanism on the Schuberths is traditional, so the front swings right up and becomes a massive sail when you open them up.

I'm so ridiculously pleased with my Nolan N104 that I'll be getting the latest variant of that in the spring when it's time for a new lid. It has all the amenities (including sun visor) and the modular front opens elliptically - so it slides out and then back in so it's right up against the forehead when open, not on top of your head. And with pinlock definitely, riding in pouring rain without a visor sucks, and if you have a visor you need pinlock for it not to fog up very badly.

Not that noisy to me, plus of course I ride with ear plugs since I don't think it's as sexy as it sounds to shout "SPEAK UP SONNY!" at someone while you're still young (ish). ;)

Of course, you can also get some Fogtech DX wet wipes and apply to the inside of your visor and to your glasses. That will also combat fogging.

My head is the Library of Alexandria, possibly the most valuable object in the Western world, I don't mind spending money on helmets. ;)

Amen. I don't get people who skimp on personal protection... sure, you saved $200, but now your brain is flowing down the gutter in a gray slurry. Worth it? :) (Ok, in reality, most helmets will protect you, and what you pay for is comfort, fit and finish, but I like comfort, fit and finish.)

With a 63mm head, just finding a comfortable helmet is a task. That would be a xxl for most models, and I can maybe squeeze into some xls. But choice is not something I have....price is the only tool available.

Back