Pianoman's Seatbelt Poll

Because you ride a motorcycle without a seat belt, are you more inclined to wear one

• Yes: I always wear a seat belt

Votes: 41 87.2%
  • Sometimes: Depending on what speed or road I'm driving

Votes: 4 8.5%
  • Never: After riding the motorcycle... I feel safe in a car

Votes: 2 4.3%

• Total voters

Toystoretom

Living Legend
Pianoman writes:

After getting off the Rocket yesterday, and getting into my cager, I drove several miles before I realized I had not hooked my seat belt. It got me thinking that I do that a lot. I'm wondering if after riding through traffic on two wheels, without a seat belt, that getting into a vehicle with four wheels gives one a false sense of security.

I've gotten in the habit of wearing my belt/harness all the time. Couple of reasons. The most important is because I'm a certified driving instructor I have to set an example to the students, it's part of the syllabus and has to do with the safety aspect. Secondly, here in Michigan, it seems cops have 20-20 or better vision and are always looking for no seat belts to pull you over under those pretenses and then write you for anything else they can. I don't give them the chance. I can't afford it from either my wallet or my Instructors license.

Having said that, I never wear my seatbelt in the farm tractors even though they are all equipped and have warning stickers. The belt restricts my movement in the cab too much especially looking back which I have to do all the time in order to watch what the implement is doing. The seat swivels 30 degrees each way but the belt is too confining anyway. I've had a lot of cops pass me when I'm in the tractor but I've never been stopped for no belt use...I guess they don't realize tractors have safety belts too.

Flip, I suspect that the seatbelt laws in your state do not include slow-moving vehicles such as farm tractors. With an open seat tractor, there would be no way that I would wear a seat belt. If the tractor starts to go over, I would want to be able to jump and take the chance that it wouldn't roll over on me. However, with an enclosed cab type tractor, it would make sense to wear one so that you don't go bouncing around inside in case of a tip over. But I'm with you, I don't think that I would wear one since you have to turn around so much.

btw, I really need to order some brake line clamps. Maybe soon.

I refuse to wear one unless I'm in a passenger someone else's car. I won't be responsible for them getting ticketed. The Police in The People's Republic of Streamwood can (and do) ticket me all they want. I've been in a couple of accidents while not wearing my seat belt and I was the only one to walk away. I know that may not be representative of all accident scenarios, but neither is the pro-seatbelt propaganda. The government shouldn't be telling me I have to wear one any more than they should be telling me I have to wear a helmet. Not that I want helmet laws in IL, but the hipocrisy of having absolutely NO helmet requirements but having a seat belt law baffles me. Well, I guess it doesn't really baffle me - it's all about $$$.

I never ride without one. It's the law here and I figure seat belts are like helmets. Both have saved my life more than once. I remember all too vividly while slowly passing by an auto accidents when I was a kid ... before seat belt laws. I'll never forget the man and women I saw hanging through a broken windshield after a collision with a guardrail :(

It's a memory etched in my brain.

Both were dead... :sick:

I don't like seat belts, and wear them only when a passenger in someone else's car - not so much because I don't want to be a cause for someone else getting a ticket (can they do that too!?) but because I generally don't trust anyone else's driving!
I especially don't like that police in VA can now pull you over if they think you aren't wearing one. It makes no sense to me whatsoever.
I wonder if you'd still get a ticket if you defeated the shoulder harness part, you know, tucked it under your arm, but still had the lap part buckled (that would look just the same to a cop from the outside as not having the belt on at all).
I am quite adept at slapping one on in a hurry, when I see a roadblock. And I would do the same, discretely, if I ever saw a cop coming to pull me over. How could they possible prove you didn't have it on?
yes, this is a subject that irritates me A LOT.

I don't and wont while driving as mine is broke and just refuse to fix it or wear one if I'm driving period. That law infringes my right to choose and if a cop is gonna pull me over for just that the system is really messed up. I believe that accidents are caused, and don't happen for no reason. Old school I suppose it's like treating symptoms not the causes.

I don't and wont while driving as mine is broke and just refuse to fix it or wear one if I'm driving period. That law infringes my right to choose and if a cop is gonna pull me over for just that the system is really messed up. I believe that accidents are caused, and don't happen for no reason. Old school I suppose it's like treating symptoms not the causes.

It's da law in NV. I've worn them since they were invented. You have to be retarded not to.

I always wear one, and yes it is the law here. While I understand the whole 'freedom of choice' issue, its hard to argue that not wearing one will give you a better chance of surviving someone else's bonehead move.

I don't like helmet laws either, (its not the law here), but I wear one anyway. Riding is inherently more dangerous than driving, so for me its about increasing the odds a bit.

Same with seat belts.

Back