people keep refering to the R3T having smaller...

headster

.020 Over
Throttle Bodies

So I pulled both bike's throttle bodies off since I am cleaning both bikes.

05 Standard Rocket 3 part number stamped on each = 1245000-SEP
Inside measurement top = 55.88mm
Inside measurement bottom = 55.88mm

08 Touring Rocket 3 part number stamped on each = 145100-VH6
Inside measurement top = 55.88mm
Inside measurement bottom = 55.88mm

Then I looked at the injectors and where they seat and everything is exactly the same.

The only visible difference besides the part numbers is the color of the secondary plates and the rod that they connect to, on the 08 they seem to be a lighter bronze color and the seals where the rod goes through the throttle bodies are of a different rubber compound.

As for the cams being different, I will know in a week or so when I pull the 08 apart for its 10k service.

I have successfully run the 05 ecu on the 08 bike when I was bolting the SC on the 05 with no ill affects.

Later

head--
ya think triumph is dumb enuff ta change intake when they got a trailer/container load of them Keihin T.B. units sittin on tha shelve?

and i bet ya tha motor ain't much different either.

if i wasn't so dumb on tha topic , i'd "guess" tha diff. is in tha spark/ecu area??

The reason I post this is that when I first got the Touring I could only find the part number different and when I posted about it everyone jumped on the different part number it must be smaller band wagon.

After finally getting them off the bikes I can tell you that other than the plates and rod they are the same. I was told by the North American Rep. that they changed this due to a sticking problem they had and that eventually all Rockets will have the new Throttle Bodies, the rep also stated that the cams are the same and that it was just timing and fuel curve that was different due to the exhaust plumbing.

The stock intake plumbing is exactly the same with the grey airbox that is under the bearclaw being slightly reshaped on the Touring due to the tank being shaped different in that area.

The 05 ECU in the 08 with my current setup let's it run like a 05 with triple filters and jardines...

The 08 ECU does have problems taking a map that represent the 05 settings so I am considering getting another 05 ECU for the 08

Atta boy Head!!

I'm suspecting that beyond the tune the exhaust is a big issue. Besides only being two mufflers instead of three the tubes connecting that collector box (don't know what else to call it, looks like a small cat but hollow) seem to be a pretty small diameter. I'll be interested to see how the first test of Jardine's full system performs. I think the D&D's, TORS, and Raask's are all still pretty restrictive.

Head -

please continue this thread as I am currently looking at which way to go with my own R3T.
I am looking at options like Jardines, Tors, D&D, Raask.
I have asked companies like Vance and Hines, Samson and other who build aftermart.
I think Sam is done with exhausts for awhile it seems, but holding out hope.
I have also had some of my own ideas about a 3 into 1 into 4 system, and have been working with some custom car exhaust builders - that is going slowly though.

Keep up the informative work, and I will always give this site a heads upo to anything I decide to attempt.

R3T

:) Hi looking at this post am i to conclued the R3T is the same as at classic apart from the exhaust and ECU ?
Have just ordered the triumph replacement exhaust as they are selling them for £109 instead of £329 in there sale they told me i need a update or would i be better fiting a classic ecu and having the extra getup :twisted: and go that way,

Anybody fitted extra lights using the switch fitted by Triumph if so do you need the factory wiring.

Back