PCV with Autotune users poll Part 2

Accept the trim values or let the wideband keep adjusting?

• Yes

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
Here is the second part
What's the point of having auto tune and not accepting the trims. It would seem you should run it for a good while to get representative values. Then accept. Then let it retrim. Eventually it shouldn't make any more trims. I.e., it should converge. To what you would get if you had a good dyno tuner tune it once. If it doesn't converge, what the **** good is it?

What's the point of having auto tune and not accepting the trims. It would seem you should run it for a good while to get representative values. Then accept. Then let it retrim. Eventually it shouldn't make any more trims. I.e., it should converge. To what you would get if you had a good dyno tuner tune it once. If it doesn't converge, what the **** good is it?

Pretty much what I thought also Doug. The reason that I asked is that there were some old posts where there was some back and forth about accepting the fuel trims causing some drivability issues, albeit that was 3 or 4 years ago. Not a whole lot of chatter on the subject recently so I reckoned that the issue had been solved but couldn't find anything that said yea or nay on the subject.

I do see that there is one 'no' vote on the poll but no reason that it was given that I can see. 'Course I might be missing something. Kinda of new on this 'Poll' thingy.

Pretty much what I thought also Doug. The reason that I asked is that there were some old posts where there was some back and forth about accepting the fuel trims causing some drivability issues, albeit that was 3 or 4 years ago. Not a whole lot of chatter on the subject recently so I reckoned that the issue had been solved but couldn't find anything that said yea or nay on the subject.

I do see that there is one 'no' vote on the poll but no reason that it was given that I can see. 'Course I might be missing something. Kinda of new on this 'Poll' thingy.
If you accept, it will just change your base map, then reset the trims to zero. There's a maximum trim you can set, like +/-20%. If you bump up against that, wouldn't you have to accept it, then start again?

I am the one that voted no and here's my reasoning: I voted no because you didn't have a "sometimes" button. When you accept trims you permanently change your base map. Sometimes that is what you are trying to do, sometimes not. If you are playing with a new tune that you are trying to get dialed in the by all means...accept the trims and see what happens. If you don't like the result then reload your base map and start over. However, if you are running a tune that you like or if you are running a bespoke dyno tune then the AT is not something you want dicking around with your performance. I have PCV's on both of my Rockets. One has AT and one does not. Both have dyno tunes in them. The bike with AT on it has the AT turned off. If I were to suddenly move to Denver where the altitude would be a constant factor I would probably turn the AT on and start playing with the tune, but until then it stays off. Why you ask? Because at some point after I had my bike dyno'd I turned the AT on and after a while accepted the trims. Bike immediately started running like $hit and lost power, hard start, poor idle, etc. I reloaded my tune and voila! back to normal.

the first thing i'd have to ask you is what problem are you trying to fix?

I have autotune on my Carpenter bike, but only to get the LED display, so I can have a tachometer. Bob Carpenter strongly advised me not to accept trims, as he felt he had it tuned for maximum power. That's my situation, anyway.

the first thing i'd have to ask you is what problem are you trying to fix?

Sorry for the late reply dude, ain't been back on the site for a while.

The problem that I was trying to fix is not having a tuner within a 4 day weekend trip to tune the thing with the pipe and filter. That being said, I decided to get the PCV+ autotune and load the A/F map that hanso kindly provided along with a modified tune for the ecu that I loaded with tuneecu.

I have accepted the trims a couple of times and the values that it is trying to add or subtract from the map are getting smaller each time. So I am convinced that it is working as advertised. Probably going to accept them one more time and turn the tune % down to 5% and forget about it from there on out.

I have to say that I am very happy with the set up. Power is awesome, fuel mileage is as good as stock, probably would be better if it wasn't for the twitchy right wrist that seems to have developed about the same time the PCV install was done. :eek::roll::roll:

I have autotune on my Carpenter bike, but only to get the LED display, so I can have a tachometer. Bob Carpenter strongly advised me not to accept trims, as he felt he had it tuned for maximum power. That's my situation, anyway.

Not a bad problem to have really. I couldn't find anybody that could tune mine that wasn't going to be a 2 vacation day plus the weekend trailer excursion to get it done. I was going to use the autotune as a temp. measure until I could do that but the beast runs so well as is I really don't think that I will bother

I voted No because I am always going up and down the Mtn or towing and not towing so load is always changing, I have at times on a long trip ridden it gently to see if I could find a need to change my creation the "HansO AFR Map" in the PCV + AT but it just fine for me and the Auto a Tune adjusts to which ever way I am riding weather that be Fanging it up over the Mtn or cruising steady or towing my 500kg camper behind me so I will not ever commit my trims as it values are always changing
Hans

Back