PCV Map Sending Error

natural275

.040 Over
I have been trying to upgrade the map in my PCV but when I send the new map I get an error message that the device and map are incompatible (device type #320 and map type #170). I tried loading Hanso's map without success. Contacted Dynojet; they didn't know what the problem was and said to send one of their maps from their website (M21-003-005) but that didn't work either and I got the same error message. I know the cable is good because I have been able to edit the currently loaded map. Have updated all software, tried different USB's, restarting, etc with no success. Dynojet doesn't know what's going on; does anyone here know what the problem and solution is? Thanks.

Do you have the auto tune unit installed on the bike? If so, do you have the two wire CAN BUS wire loom plugged in between the PCV and the A/T unit, along with the CAN BUS termination plug plugged into the PCV unit? If you do not have the A/T unit, do you have the CAN BUS termination plug plugged into the PCV unit?

How long have you had the PCV unit installed on the bike? Did the PCV unit work with the stock preloaded Dynojet MAP?

Also, unless you have cams, there is really no need to push the engine to 7,000 RPM. You run out of cam before that. This is a torque motor! But that is a discussion for another day.

Do you have the auto tune unit installed on the bike? If so, do you have the two wire CAN BUS wire loom plugged in between the PCV and the A/T unit, along with the CAN BUS termination plug plugged into the PCV unit? If you do not have the A/T unit, do you have the CAN BUS termination plug plugged into the PCV unit?

How long have you had the PCV unit installed on the bike? Did the PCV unit work with the stock preloaded Dynojet MAP?

Also, unless you have cams, there is really no need to push the engine to 7,000 RPM. You run out of cam before that. This is a torque motor! But that is a discussion for another day.

Yes, I just added the Autotune prior to attempting the re-map. It shouldn't make a difference...

The CAN BUS wire is properly connected between the Autotune and the PCV. The termination plug is is in the adjacent Autotune port. The guy who put in my PCV in December 2011 along with its current unsatisfactory PCV tune (2010 Rocket Touring 20366 I'm sad to say) did not bother to install any termination plugs into the PCV. Yes, it worked fine with this map but it just isn't hot enough for me. I never looked at it with my computer until I just added Autotune; that's when I covered the unplugged port with rubber tape.

No cams, but looking at TuneECU the rev limit with triples and jardines is 6710 I think, and looking at Hanso's and Dynojets PCV maps the tables go to 7000. The PCV map loaded now has tables that only go to 6000.

I've googled and read everything I can find on this device vs map incompatibilty error and from what I can tell from some other bikes Dynojet changed the maps so they didn't match the device (PCV) and this was fixed by Dynojet getting them a new map but when I called they didn't know what the problem was.

I remain, dazed and confused.

you have an 06 standard correct?
but you say the map is a 2010 touring #20366. maybe the incompatabe error your seeing.

Take care you get the right map config for the motor and setup you have there, if you program the ECU give the wrong info you may cause some damage. the PCv +AT correction isnt instant you need 50 to 100 Kms before it lines up and then you will need to accept the map mods and maybe import the PCv map into the ECU depending on what you are trying to achieve... trial and error is OK but take a little care :)

Also turn off the puter and reboot and open TuneECU and Dynatune PCv again make sure your plugged into the mains and the battery is on tender charge.

JM2CW dont know the level of you skills and understanding here.:cool:

you have an 06 standard correct?
but you say the map is a 2010 touring #20366. maybe the incompatabe error your seeing.

Take care you get the right map config for the motor and setup you have there, if you program the ECU give the wrong info you may cause some damage. the PCv +AT correction isnt instant you need 50 to 100 Kms before it lines up and then you will need to accept the map mods and maybe import the PCv map into the ECU depending on what you are trying to achieve... trial and error is OK but take a little care :)

Also turn off the puter and reboot and open TuneECU and Dynatune PCv again make sure your plugged into the mains and the battery is on tender charge.

JM2CW dont know the level of you skills and understanding here.:cool:

Absolutely . dont load touring maps into standard or roadster or any other configuration. only load maps intended for your bike.

Okay I just went out and checked the wiring on my PCV unit. The CAN BUS termination plug goes into the port on the PCV unit, right next to the CAN BUS loom plug from the A/T unit. According to the Dynojet instruction sheet for the A/T unit, and the Tech at Dynojet I spoke with, the CAN BUS termination plug can also go on the A/T unit. Whichever unit you choose, the termination plug MUST go onto one of the units or the A/T unit won't work.

Also, did you install the O2 Optimizer into the stock wiring harness? Or did your tuner guy install the O2 Oprimizer into the wiring harness when he installed the PCV unit?

As for downloading any other MAPS, as long as the MAP is from Dynojet and is for your model bike, it should work. The Touring MAP won't work on a Standard or a Roadster. Clear as mud?

Absolutely . dont load touring maps into standard or roadster or any other configuration. only load maps intended for your bike.

The only maps I've attempted to load are the correct maps for the bike. It was the guy who put in the PCV who loaded the Touring tune.

Okay I just went out and checked the wiring on my PCV unit. The CAN BUS termination plug goes into the port on the PCV unit, right next to the CAN BUS loom plug from the A/T unit. According to the Dynojet instruction sheet for the A/T unit, and the Tech at Dynojet I spoke with, the CAN BUS termination plug can also go on the A/T unit. Whichever unit you choose, the termination plug MUST go onto one of the units or the A/T unit won't work.

Also, did you install the O2 Optimizer into the stock wiring harness? Or did your tuner guy install the O2 Oprimizer into the wiring harness when he installed the PCV unit?

As for downloading any other MAPS, as long as the MAP is from Dynojet and is for your model bike, it should work. The Touring MAP won't work on a Standard or a Roadster. Clear as mud?

Termination plugs are good. O2 sensor wiring was disconnected when PCV was put in; now has O2 sensor from the Autotune. Don't know about O2 Optimizer.

The maps from Dynojet, or so far from anywhere else, won't load. The Touring map seems to have been working fine, although again its not what I want....

I am wondering if my PCV is just a different (older?) version (device type 320) than the maps on Dynojets website and the ones that have been sent to me (map type 170).

Well then it appears you might have to have the bike looked at by a different Dynojet approved tuner. I would try calling Mickey Cohen in Orange County. I've heard nothing but good things about his expertise. He is heavily involved in racing motorcycles and their tuning with Dynojet products. Give him a call and see if he can help you.

Other than that, I would ask Dynojet for help, as it's their product. Most here that have the system are happy with it and have had no problems. As Dynojet used an 08 Rocket to test and design the PCV for our bikes, they won't recommend using the PCV on older Rockets. But, as most here will tell you, the wiring on pre 08 Rockets is the same and the PCV works just fine on them. My bike is an 011 R3T, so the set up works just fine on my bike.

Give Cohen a call. He's top notch. Although he might not be as good as the "Highly paid, Triumph road tester dude," or what ever he is that worked on your bike previously.

Ok, I've cleaned up my prior posts a little bit because my frustration was coming through a little louder than I would prefer!

I called Mickey as you suggested and he advised making sure that the firmware was up to date. He also said that he hadn't run into this problem before (which explains why this happened to me - I tend to get the great unknowns), and that it may need to be fixed on the dyno.

So just to make sure that everything was current, I uninstalled the PC program and cleaned my entire computer of all related contents, did a deep scan for boogers, re-installed the PowerCommander program and Firmware update, re-downloaded the maps, and.... error sending map: device #320 vs map #170 no matter what map I try to send, just like before.

So I guess we'll go to dyno, which defeates the purpose of Autotune, but WTF?

Back