TurboFan

Supercharged
Ride
R3, SP3, T120
Some one knowledgeable will be along in a minute. My limited experience with the PC was with it hooked to the "O2" sensor eliminator from PC. (I use Tune Boy now.) The ECU is still controlling the Fuel Injection, but the mixture is being altered by the PC unit. The ECU will continue to try to change the tune as the O2 sensor sends it data. We will see what others say on this thread.

The PC3 needs the 02 eliminator to control fuel below WOT I believe below 3,000 rpms-or something like that. The eliminator is a $20 item, so no excuse for not getting it.

The PC3 hijacks the CPU, where as the Tuneboy invades it. How's that for an analogy?

The TB can squeak out more HP and torque by manipulating timing curves, but is definitely not as user friendly to tuners. Also, it can raise redline, remove your top speed limiter, TPS/diagnostics, and adjust your speedometer.

Overall, get a PC3, got to a PC sanctioned dyno tuner and get it fully mapped and you will be very happy IMHO.

There is a lot of difference between the two. Power Commander is a very clever way of tricking the computer into doing something different than it intended. But it is a little like hanging colored cellophane in front of a Black and White TV. It is interesting, but it ain't memorex so to speak. It was the only way to affect a tune on the early FI systems that did not have an EEPROM chip. The EEPROM (Electonically Eraseable Programable, Read Only Memory) can be overwritten by a computer. Tune boy lets you do this.
If there were a case where you wanted to increase one part of the table and then decrease another part and finally leave another part unchanged, that would not be an option with the PC (AS I UNDERSTAND IT!! BIG CAVEAT HERE, lots of big words, BUT I barely know what I am talking about!).
In addition to the fuel maps and ignition timing the tune boy gives access to the secondary thottle plates, REV limiter and the top speed limiter. It also allows you to correct the speedometer, but only 1/2 way. That is, on the speedo you can have the true speed, or the true miles traveled, but not both. That is because of how it is geared.
So the Power Commander is awesome, it does a great job and is easy for tuners to use, but it is still hanging a piece of cellophane over the screen. Tuneboy is harder to tune with for the shops that are set up with Dynajet, (Power Commander), but it does more AND you can load a tune yourself in about one minute, especially after your buddy e-mails the tune to you. Hmmm... Not really a simple choice, but it's all good. Just ride and have fun.

Back