Shaun

Mild obsession
Ride
2004 Rocket
I am hoping someone on here could help me. Until recently I have been using Tuneecu to map my bike after mods. But with the latest mod i am still running hot and decal popping heaps. So i bought a power commander 5 that fits my bike (no auto tune) and planning on getting it custom dyno tuned in the next fortnight. The confusing thing for me after installing the power commander is what map is now required on the ecu and the power commander until i can get it to a tuner? Having two different maps would just confuse the system wouldn't it??? Help please

i am pretty sure the power commander comes with a built in tune. Have you done the complete installation? If your'e not confident to do that, there is a very good youtube video showing how its done. i would advise watching that all the way thru then go back to the start and do each step...pause the video...do the next step etc. When completed the bike will now be running on the tune the PCV has installed.
Then you can get the dyno tune done to smooth out the air/fuel ratio etc. The dyno tune will now be current.
If the dyno guy knows his stuff, he will practically eliminate decel pop. You may very well be in there with him watching progress...tell him about the decel pop......good luck.

i am pretty sure the power commander comes with a built in tune. Have you done the complete installation? If your'e not confident to do that, there is a very good youtube video showing how its done. i would advise watching that all the way thru then go back to the start and do each step...pause the video...do the next step etc. When completed the bike will now be running on the tune the PCV has installed.
Then you can get the dyno tune done to smooth out the air/fuel ratio etc. The dyno tune will now be current.
If the dyno guy knows his stuff, he will practically eliminate decel pop. You may very well be in there with him watching progress...tell him about the decel pop......good luck.

Do i need to falsh the ecu as it has a custom map on it? And how do i flash it?

When the bike has a PCV installed and running it will overide the tune ...

Install was easy. Just wouldn't kick over after installation so was thinking ecu... might double check everything before uninstalling as the dyno tuner wants to charge me $180 to install something that took me half an hour and only a dozen swear words

Yeah...cant find the video but all the instructions are easy to follow...just do a double check everything is correct i spose.

All good advice above . The Pcv comes with generic maps that will be in the ball park , but not perfect . The Dyno tuner , should write you a custom map depending on your and the bikes requirements . Any decent tuner can also access your bikes ecu , depending on year of bike , can remove any speed restrictions , open up the secondaries to 100 % , lower the fan temperature and raise the red line . Eliminate the majority of Decel pop , remember ? straight through pipes are always going to pop to a certain degree . To eliminate it completely , is to effectively detune the bike and you don't want that ! Once this is done , the custom map is stored in the PCV. New maps can be written and also stored if you do any further mods . The benefit of the Dyno tune is that you know that the bike is running to it's optimum , taking all riding conditions into account! I have no experience with the auto tune , but the guys here that use them swear by them . Personally , I like to have that dyno read out , which shows exactly what your engine is doing . That said , the cost of that peace of mind , does tend to work out more expensive than the auto tune . Accessing the bikes ECU and tweaking , plus custom map on the PCV cost me a tad under £400 GBP, as opposed to around £300 for the auto tune and £20 for the lead and tune ecu .
Bear in mind , I still use the tune ecu for servicing !

The only thing a base PC5 will tend to is the fueling.

The Keihin Map (TuneECU) should be used to set base line conditions. Things like secondary throttles, F/L switch and importantly (if it's a top tuner) the ignition. And any tuner who knows Triumphs will have TuneECU handy and will know what to do. If they do not - then be cautious.

If it were me I would drop the Triumph TORS map in and maybe open the secondaries up. I remodeled the secondaries as I proactively use them to improve slower speed running.

A good tuner will also know that WOT tuning is not the be all and end all of Dyno work. I say this as I have ridden a couple of DYNO-TUNED bikes that were absolute shyte on the road.

The base maps that come with he PCV are (imo total crud) way too rich.

Back