In that article the weight savings vs the R1 stock wheels was about 30%. If I remember correctly on the rocket wasn't close to a 50% weight savings?

In that article the weight savings vs the R1 stock wheels was about 30%. If I remember correctly on the rocket wasn't close to a 50% weight savings?

I'd have to go back to my posts on "the other place" to find the exact numbers for the R3 wheels, but I believe the weight savings is close to 50% when you include the much lighter tires used with the R3 CF wheels. The handling changes are dramatic, and you also put down more HP at the rear wheel as a result.

Does this make any sense? :

If a stock Rocket weighs in at approximately 800 pounds and you have a 200 pound rider, you have about 1000 pounds in weight.

Also a stock Rocket makes about 125 RWHP.

Divide 1000 by 125 and you get 8 pounds per RWHP.

If the stock wheels weigh 25 pounds each (I just made this up, I have no idea how much the wheel and tire assembly weighs, but they might weigh that much) and you cut that by 50%, you would save about 25 pounds (for two wheels). Or pick up about 3 RWHP across the entire rpm range, and that doesn't show on any dyno, but it will on your time slip.

That gain is multiplied even further because of rotational inertia. Not only did you remove weight, you made the wheels easier for the engine to rotate. You also gain better braking.

Amazingly in this economy, every time something gets posted about these BST R3 wheels... we pickup another buyer! I believe total sales are approaching 50 units at this point, earning me big bonus points with BST management which I hope to parlay into the R3 CF swingarm. Just wait until I can release photos of a BST CF swingarm! :cool:

Back