Paving Work On The Parkway

JoseyR3Wales

Living Legend
Ride
2014 Victory Vision Tour
Starting May 15 through September there will be paving work on the Blue Ridge Parkway from Craggy Gardens to the Devils Courthouse. THERE WILL BE LANE CLOSURES AND DELAYS. This is roughly from about 20 miles East of Asheville to a point between Asheville and Maggie Valley. Approximately 55 miles total.

Last edited:
That was a thorn in our side last year returning home. I thought I would dump the bike when I hit the first stretch of that fine stuff and quickly got off the Parkway until past the work zone.

Starting May 15 through September there will be paving work on the Blue Ridge Parkway from Craggy Gardens to the Devils Courthouse. THERE WILL BE LANE CLOSURES AND DELAYS. This is roughly from about 20 miles East of Asheville to a point between Asheville and Maggie Valley. Approximately 55 miles total.
Thanks for the info. My small group are planning a late August trip to the Parkway. Maybe go to a different location.

I wouldn't avoid the Parkway -- it is after all 469 miles long and the paving work is a relatively small part toward the southern end. There should be plenty to enjoy outside the work zones, and BRP is not a race course after all. I just found myself doing 10 mph on anything other than straight parts and it was just tedious and I wasn't enjoying it in the work zone.

I was in a work zone close to home, and didn't care for the pea gravel over striped blacktop :thumbsdown:. I was doing the speed limit, 35 in the stretch of torn up road. Some F'tard in a car decided he needed to be close enough to read the stickers on my helmet :mad:. A couple of blips of the throttle, and countless little rocks flying all over his car, made him decide to back off. :cool:

At least they know not to let it go into October when it really gets crowded up here. There are plenty of ways around this stuff and they advise to check the Parkway website as to where they are working. I'm just trying to help you from losing your temper.

Thanks for putting this in the appropriate cubby hole. Easy Jim, that means the correct forum.

Back