sonny

Living Legend
Ride
rocket three x
For some reason or the other my Parts will be in on monday. No tracking number until tonight. Can't wait. It has been a week or two since the Rocket has been up. Been riding the Harley and it sucks. Have to go to work monday but plan on putting in for four vacation days. Three days working on getting everything back on and one full day of just having fun. Got a lot of work to do but really looking forward to it. Throttle bodys off the bike, coils off, valve cover off. cams off, and some hardware that is getting powder coated. Got all the special tools. Done my homework and now ready to make it happen. really just one happy camper. Gonna take my time and enjoy every minute of it. #amn life just gets no better than this.

Well kind of. Spent a lot of time building and upgrading the bike. Did not know anything about Harleys but learned as we are doing with the Rocket. Never took the bike to a shop to have any work done other then a seal replacement on the primary. (Under warranty at that time) studied the hell out of the mechanics of the bike and ended up with a bike that produces 113 horsepower at 111 pounds of torque. Not bad when you consider it started out as a brand new stock 96 cubic inch. We now have 87,000 miles on her. (2010 Fatboy) and it still runs good. My problem is not so much that it is a Harley but the image it projects along with the rider. I ride the Rocket and it is a whole different world out there. People come up and talking asking questions and sharing past experience with Triumphs. A simple gas stop in my hometown has leaded into some good conversation while riding the Rocket. Not so on the Harley. Most folks see me on the Harley and they lock their car doors and avoid eye contact. Yes we understand that some folks like that image. I do not care for it. Harley Davidson has spent a lot of money on advertizing such a image which completely disguises the #ell out of me. Everytime I post such a comment on the image that Harley has done its best to project someone comes back doing their best to explain away the bad boy image. $ull****. Ain't buying it. Bought the Harley while suffering from a mid life crisis. Got over it and now enjoy riding a really good made bike. Anybody who really rides and enjoys the freedom of a motorcycle without the need of the image understands what I am talking about. Got a feeling you know what i am talking about. Just do not care for it anymore, Found something better (ROCKET X).

Now here a Harley has a whole different image to the General Public.
It's more the Power Rangers and the real off road crowd (MX) that are avoided as less desirable hooligans.

Often get non-bikers here accuse me of not being a serious mature "rider" because it's not a Harley. I do my best to reinforce that opinion.
I had a 2002 Softail which, tbh, did many day-to-day things better than the R3 - but it was not ideal for my longer runs.

If I do ever change bike - it will be a Sports Tourer. Or maybe a Classic/Vintage hooligan bike. i.e Laverda Montuic.
tbh I miss my 1997 Buell S3T but the missus (rightly, dammit) pointed out that 3 bikes was a big drain on our income.
But in all reality one day I'll downsize and jut run my 1979 Guzzi.

Much the same in England as Barbagris describes , there is no bad boy image when it comes to Harleys . Quite the opposite in fact. Most Harley riders are seen as middle aged teenagers who refused to grow up past 21 . Covered in tin badges and under the counter embroidery . The bikes get a second glance but the riders generally a sympathetic smile No matter how tough they try to look !
Bit different with the MC boys but they would still look threatening on Vespas to be fair !
The power rangers get the bad press here
With their disrespect for anyone else on the road and green lane riders who have the audacity to run over rare ants and mushrooms ! As for the Rockets ? Relatively few about and they all ways get big attention . My bike is my alter ego , after a day of being professional and dealing with customers , I like nothing more than pulling down my mirrored visor shutting the whole world out and being just plain HOOLIGAN ! Don't judge me ! ! :sneaky: :sneaky: :sneaky: :ninja:

Over the years of motorcycling never felt the will to tinker with the bike other than adjusting the idle and changing the air filter, cleaning and detailing.
But the Rocket begs to be tinkered with. The Rocket is an experience in motorcycle maintenance.

For me, all bikes are fantastic and somehow catch my eye.

So I echo with my friend Nat67; Much the same in Texas as in England as Barbagris describes , there is no bad boy image when it comes to Harleys . Quite the opposite in fact. Most Harley riders are seen as middle aged teenagers who refused to grow up past 21 . Covered in tin badges and under the counter embroidery . The bikes get a second glance but the riders generally a sympathetic smile No matter how tough they try to look ! Ride on Brother

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mothers reached by this fine forum.

I miss mine, till my time come.

To all the mother's here and gone !
I find working on my bikes as therapeutic as riding them , they are a package of self discovery and achievement . Cars are a necessary evil I find , if mine breaks altho fully capable of fixing it myself I would rather throw it in the repair shop . But my bikes ? That's a different matter , no one touches them but me and the dyno tuner if needs be ?

In fact even a brand new bike is not mine until every single bolt has been turned by me
The bonding process is real and almost dare I say it spiritual ! It certainly leaves you with a sense of achievement and accomplishment that you don't normally find in everyday life , and when that bike fires up on the button and runs tight and flawlessly , can mix it up with most other vehicles on the road , sounds like thunder and turns heads like a beauty queen , how much better can life be in that moment ?

I really enjoyed the one Harley I ever owned: a 2011 Road Glide Ultra. But you are right in that far fewer people approached me while I was riding HD. I personally don't care who you are or what you ride. If I like your bike then I'll say "nice bike" and a conversation starts from there. I don't like when people make excuses for what they ride. It's yours. Enjoy it for whatever it is.

Back