Toystoretom

Living Legend
I ran across this on one of my Hot Rod forums, it is a tech post on how to paint your own car without having to own a lot of equipment and bringing the EPA down on you because of the fumes. It also is fairly inexpensive to do as compared to the price of buying paint for your $300 DeVillbiss gravity feed HVLP spray gun. While it saves you money in material and equipment it takes a BUNCH more work, but if you're low on funds but have a lot of time on your hands, this is made for you. If you apply this to motorsickle painting its not going to be near the work that a car would, you can do a piece of the bike one at a time... a fender here... a side cover there... and since they are all separated if they don't match perfectly it won't be very noticeable.

Pros:
You don't need expensive equipment.
Low cost.
Good results, nice looking paint job.

Cons:
Takes a lot of time and work.
Its enamel.. it won't stand up to gas if you get real sloppy at the gas station. (With the Rocket's gas cap setup this may not be a real problem).

Here is the link...and he has links to yet other forums and some good pictures of the results. Be sure to check it all out... its some good reading!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=185799

Tom,

Very interesting. I did part of my old chopper with with spray can epoxy with allot of wet sanding between coats and it came out great. I have also done spray can enamel on a couple of tanks with soft grit wet sanding with great results. Just don't let the gas hit the paint......

I guess you didn't read the links , eh Flip? Because that is exactly what they are about... even the Volkswagen...

Back