Paint can rattle sound file.

Mitchcpc

Supercharged
Paint can rattle sound file. A few folks have asked that I replace the sound file on this page:

I think I have done it correctly. Give it a shot, and please let me know.

These links should work as well. There are two files.

1200-1500 RPM..........Austa Lasagna.

Thanks Mitch. I'm somewhat of a mechanical hypochondriac about the paint can rattle, probably because of the number of those on the forum who have experienced it. I have suspected that mine had it, in spite of two shops saying it sounded fine. That is a very distinct sound that mine definitely does not have.

Mine sounds exactly like that, Fred and a few others listened to it at last fall launch, they said it was the paint rattle noise, also Ogre said he had an 05 that did it for all the time he owned it.
The big question is, how long will it last before it breaks!!

Mexican,

The first file I posted was before the the update, the second after. As you can tell, the rattle was not deleted by the update. However, the update did remove ALL tranny issues, smooth as butter. After my studies, I just went down and bought the camshaft chain tensioner spacer part T1140188 and installed it myself. $20 and the noise has not returned. Although I suspect if it does, it will only last as long as it takes for the chain to get loose enough to grab another tooth on the tensioner. Actually, after I installed the spacer it took about 100 miles for the tensioner to engage the next tooth and the noise to stop. And so on and so on until I hit 50K and do a dampner bearing and camshaft chain and tensioner replacement over the winter. Warm heater, cold beer, and a quite garage. Can't beat it. Page 3.9 of the service manual talks all about this tensioner spacer. I did not do the measuring, I just installed it. This worked for me, but past performance is not indicative of futer gains, so if this does not work for you, don't blame me. Mine could blow up tomorrow.
Page

Thanks Mitch, the problem is that i'm not mechanically inclined so i'm at the mercy of the dealer, which by the way has no idea how much to charge me for the job, they say the charge is not in their labor book:surrender:

Buy the spacer. Next time you are on a ride with other Rocket riders, take the spacer and a wrench. That's all it takes to install. And take the pages from the manual. One of them riders will help you out. Manual is available here.

http://www.cuppabella.com/Service_Manual_R3S_C_T.pdf

Courtesy of Marcus.

Buy the spacer. Next time you are on a ride with other Rocket riders, take the spacer and a wrench. That's all it takes to install. And take the pages from the manual. One of them riders will help you out. Manual is available here.

http://www.cuppabella.com/Service_Manual_R3S_C_T.pdf

Courtesy of Marcus.

Lupe, I gotta deal for ya' . Buy the spacer, I'll meet you at Maggie valley in the spring, and I'll put the spacer in for you. I put one in mine last winter and mine hasn't made the noise since. Fred

That noise can also be worn gudjion pins.... Happened on a mates R classic

Hi ya Bones ! I listened to Lupe's bike at the fall RAA. Same noise mine made. Definitely coming from the cam chain area. It sounds like the links of the chain hitting something. Mine would only do it when it was really cold out, (below 50 deg F). I measured my tensioner and it fell in the range that needed the spacer. I made my own. It hasn't made the noise in about 12 thousand miles now (keeping fingers crossed) !

Back