paint can rattle on newer bikes

Ridefree

Supercharged
Ride
2013 R3T .... 2003 Harley softail
Has anyone out there experienced the paint can rattle on a newer bike, say 2010 models and newer. My 2013 R3T has it at idle and worse at about 1200 rpm when cold.

When was the last valve clearance and shim adjustment done, how many miles on the clock these are bits of info that will help people to help you

Hi all,
First I want to say thank you to everyone that replied to this thread with advice and help. My wife and I returned from our bike trip a few days ago and work has been crazy and this is my first chance to post. So here is an update on cam chain rattle.

Just before we left I put in the spacer for the tensioner spring. Unfortunately it didn't make any difference when I started the bike. That night I also installed the TORS mufflers and had the TORS tune downloaded at the dealer the next morning, But that is not relevant to the topic of this thread. We left on the trip thinking that with some road time and a few hundred miles the tensioner might adjust but that didn't happen. Now, Once the engine is warmed up it's quiet but I think the problem has gotten a little worse. Before the trip, when the engine was cold, the cam chain was quiet at idle and I would have to rev it to 1200 - 1300 rpms to get it rattle. But as we got into our trip (and I first started it in the mornings) I began to notice a slight random "tink" "tink" "tink" at idle, and the of course as I reved it to 1200 rpms it would go to the full rattle.

The history on this noise started back at about 8500 miles on the clock. It was very slight and would go away within 30 seconds after starting it cold ( just the slightest engine warmth and it was gone).By the time it got to 10'000 miles the noise was more pronounced and would last longer. At the 10'000 mile service I told the service manager about it and asked if he could have the mechanic take a look down in the chain chest to see if all looked well since he had the top off to check the valves. When I picked the bike up he told me that the valves were OK and the mechanic took the tensioner out and blew out the oil passages, cleaned it up, and made sure it was good (RED FLAG). We debated the fact that the Rocket didn't have a hydrolic tensioner, that is was spring loaded ratchet, he assured me I was wrong and that was a hydrolic tensioner(whatever, I knew better). I could tell that they did indeed remove the tensioner because there was new fluf around the new gasket. Anyway, the chain noise was gone, engine sounded beautiful at cold start up. This lasted about 1200 miles and it was back, now worse than it ever was when cold. But, as I said before, once it warms up engine sounds great. Bike now has 14,500 mile on it. 10,000 mile service was completed at 10,500 miles on the odometer in late Febuary

Sorry for the long winded post but i thought all the history might help.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this, Ridefree

My advise find a dealer that actually knows his product and get it sort while still under warranty and also contact your national dealer head office and tell what has been going on with your current dealer

Hey hanso, the above post is one I copied and pasted from a thread I had in technical chat. That explains why the opening sounds a little off.

Yeah but it is still a valid warranty claim as long as the first time you reported it to your dealer it was under warranty it was clearly not fixed

Yeah I feel the same way. I'm going to try to get out to a different dealer tomorrow. I wonder if other late model rocket owners have had the same problem. I know the early rockets had it but I was under the impression that they had it all the bugs worked out buy 2009 or2010

Back