P1105 Map Sensor Pipe Fault

BlackSails

Where'd all the tread go?
Ride
2014 R3T
So several weeks ago out of the blue, my bike wouldn't start. Just clack & wouldn't turn over. After checking wires switches etc. I gave up & took it to the local Nashville Triumph dealer. Two weeks later they said, it's starting now, but not running right and will only start IF the power commander is disconnected, but wont run right cause the O2 sensor isnt connected. I informed them that the O2 sensor is a broadband from AT and the the O2 is turned off and the ecu connection is plugged ... so that's not it. I suggested reloading the tune & they said "Don't take offense to this but U seem to know more about how ur bike is set up maybe u could pick it up and reload the tune, we have 2 hours in it but will wave the charges. See what u can figure out and let us know if u do. So ... I did, towed it homethe next day, connected Tuneecu & right out of the box I could see things werent the right. Rev limit changed, speed limit changed, O2 was turned on. Etc. So I reloaded Nels Touring Map & started it. Seemed to run a lot better BUT no vacuum and throwing P1105 now. I checked map sensor wires and rubber caps (I have the canister removed and all 7 throttle body vacuum nipples capped) one of the caps U missed & was badly cracked, so I replaced it, crossed my fingers, but still getting the code and no vacuum readings :banghead:

Is my next step to order a new map sensor? Did I miss something? I'd hoped to ride to BBBQ this week but Its looking like it ain't gonna happen :(

Any suggestions!?? Thanks!

Hang about, did you just say you have all 7 throttle body vac nipples capped, and not getting any vacuum readings?

The MAP sensor needs to be plumbed to all 3 throttle bodies

I was curious about that possibility, but I'm not sure which nipples would need the lines to go where? Could someone post a picture or is there a diagram in the manual? Though the manual would show the spaghetti to the canister making it confusing for my small cranium. I thought it got its readings from the metal pipe connected to the throttle bodies.

By metal pipe, do you mean the injector rail?

One of the vac nipples on each throttle should have a 4mm ID vac tube about 250mm iirc long each going to a 3into1 merger piece

Then from that merger there is a single pipe to the MAP sensor (where red arrow points)

Length and diameter of tube must be as above ime.

Other vac nipple on each throttle must be capped (rear throttle has 2 other nipples)

20190922-234649.jpg

Got it. I connected a line from the center throttle body directly to the sensor. It gives readings but they're way off. I'll need to either find the lines I took off or get some new ones. Does it matter which nipples are used? Forward or back? Thanks for the help that moves things forward!

Got it. I connected a line from the center throttle body directly to the sensor. It gives readings but they're way off. I'll need to either find the lines I took off or get some new ones. Does it matter which nipples are used? Forward or back? Thanks for the help that moves things forward!
No it doesn't matter one line from each throttle body to the plastic nipple (it has three little nipples and one large one.) Three one from each throttle body and the large one goes to the map sensor.

So as I understand it, the T connector has 4 connector points. 3 smaller ones that take 1 line each to the throttle bodies and One larger one that takes a bit larger tube to the sensor.

If all the vacuums merge and the sensor takes just 1 line, how does the sensor get 3 readings? Scratching Head!

So as I understand it, the T connector has 4 connector points. 3 smaller ones that take 1 line each to the throttle bodies and One larger one that takes a bit larger tube to the sensor.

If all the vacuums merge and the sensor takes just 1 line, how does the sensor get 3 readings? Scratching Head!
It knows its orientation from the crank trigger pick up signal to the ecu.

It's not so much magic, as understanding the timing of the motor. Most of the time, the intake valves are closed, so when one is open, that is associated with (as @warp9.9 stated above) with the position of the crankshaft rotation, and the measurement taken at that time can only be from that throttle body. But if you don't have the vacuum lines installed, that would weaken the measured impulses possibly below the threshold of registering, thus depriving the ECU of a critical data point, which it is trying to tell you with the code.

Back