ToledoBendTom

.040 Over
Ride
2005 Rocket
Mine is 05. Bike stored for 4 years while recovering from knee replacement surgeries. Repaired wires chewed thru by rodents, replaced gas tank, rusted holes. Completed oil, air filter, fuel filter and rear diff fluids. Started twelve minute tune. Radiator fan not coming on. No leaking anti freeze just overheating.

While bike is cooling, thought would search here. Best guess, I have dirt dobber clogging the fan. So plan of attack

Remove rad cap check fluid
Check overflow level
Remove rad cover

Hope that cover off will give access to fan

For non southerners, a dirt dobber is a wasp like insect that builds a dirt clog nest to lay eggs. They are a hard sandstone that is attached to any service, especially a void between say motor and radiator.

More to come.

If you had TuneECU/TuneBoy/Triumph software you could run a test, it'd help determine whether the fault was on the input side (say, prob with coolant temp sensor circuit) or output side (say, prob with fan circuit)

Maybe change out the rad fan relay it's under the left side cover, have heard of a couple of them going, rusted insides stuck and what not.
Failing that maybe your furry friends have chewed a wire on temp sensor or fan circuits too :)

You should have checked the coolant before you started it. That being said, I hope it wasn't dry. Since you already replaced the fuel hoses, you might as well replace the water hoses. I have had good luck with Pandora Triumph out of Chattanooga Tn. Easy site and they check the last 6 of your vin to make sure it fits

Well the good news is all my shiney parts are shining. Checked fuse, 7, all good. Still no fan action. Radiator full. Have shop manual, looking at cooling system in greater detail.

Maybe change out the rad fan relay it's under the left side cover, have heard of a couple of them going, rusted insides stuck and what not.
Failing that maybe your furry friends have chewed a wire on temp sensor or fan circuits too :)

+1

I had to replace the fan relay about two weeks ago. That fixed my fan not coming on. Discovered the fan problem with TuneECU.

You can swap it with one of the other relays temporarily to see if it IS the relay.

Back