Output shaft bearing

Fred F.

Supercharged
Hi all I'm going to beat this dead horse one more time (at least !). I bought my 05' R3 on fleabay and flew to Texas to pick it up. I noticed when I took off on it, it had a little sound in the drive line. It's sound like something rubbing on the rear brake disc once per tire revolution. I didn't know anything about output bearing problems at that time, so I kicked it's ass all the way back to Michigan. The bike now has 19,000 miles on it. The noise is still there, but no worse, actually I can't hear it at all now with the tors. The bike supposedly has had the dealor up-grade done on it, and does show evidence of the engine being removed. I just pulled the rear drive and the splines were rusty but not worn yet. Has anyone greased the splines and had suspicious noises go away? I can turn the drive shaft with a pair of needle nosed pliers. It turns firm but very smooth. I too am planning a long ride and hate worrying about this bearing. Any thoughts? Any and all replies appreciated ! Thanks, Fred

Try pushing the bike around. Should be able to tell if it's in the drive line or just brakes.

If that doesn't work . . . jack up the rear and roll it to see it you feel anything.
Hope it helps.

grease the splines.
Honda has a product at their dealers.
If you got plenty of meat left on your brake pads,
then I'd say yea, you need the output shaft bearing done.
Thats EXACTLY the same thought (brake dragging),
I had when mine went out.

I've put about 2000 pretty hard miles on it and the noise hasn't changed. How long do they last after they get noisy ? I'm about 99% certain this bike had the dealer up-grade done on it. Even if they are installed correctly are they still prone to failure ? Fred

Definitely grease those splines. Should be done each time the wheel is pulled and/or every 10k (I think, it's in the manual, see my sig for download)

I've had my rear drag like that, pull the pads and make sure everything is clean and copper greased properly. May not hurt to pull the whole rear calliper. It's floating so maybe for some reason it's not floating so well anymore. Put some copper grease in those little booties after you clean any gunk out of them.

The rear disc could be warped too.

Do you feel any odd vibrations in the foot pegs?

Eliminate the simple stuff before jumping to OSB failure.

Have you put it up and spun the rear wheel to see if you can see what's scraping?

Back in July when I first got it home I lifted it up and spun the wheel. Nothing felt suspicious then, turned nice and smooth. I have a nice lift now. As soon as new rear tire is mounted I plan to run it on the stand with the back pads right out of it. Other than that no weird clunks, slop or vibration in the drive at all, and I'm pretty fond of canning it at walking speed and lighting up the back tire for spectators. I also plan to cut apart the oil filter and see if there are any surprises in there. Beyond that I guess I'll just go on my trip to Daytona and if it gets really noisy it can ride home in a u-haul ! Fred

Fred when she is up in the air throw a dial indicator on the disc and see what it says! Oh are you talking about Bike week in2010 at Daytona?
If so I will probably be there and you will find a few more of us also especially the lucky farts that live down there hell we got 8 inches of snow this weekend and I hate running the snow blower verses the Beastie.

Ya, I'll check that rotor when I get the wheel back on. Lots of snow here too. Plan to ride to Key West after Daytona 2010. Maybe I'll see some of you there ! Fred

..Fred, I don't know how important or true this is, but I've read where you should use moly paste instead of moly grease on the splines..maybe something to do with the heat?..anyway, I got it at my Honda dealer..

Back