output shaft bearing problem

triroketman

Supercharged
I just wanted to let everyone that was at RAA 4 about my experience with my dealer concerning my output shaft bearing problem that surfaced at RAA 4. I rode the bike to my dealer on Tuesday after work. My complaint about a strange noise coming from the bike was answered "well that's a big motor and it makes a lot of strange noises". When I informed them that it was probably the output shaft bearing, because it was a known problem, he responded "you can't believe all that crap that you read on the internet". He did say that they had one other rocket that had that problem and that Triumph was good at paying for known defects. I had to leave it with them so they could check it out. I am waiting for a call from them. I think I am on the receiving end of a screwin'. I will let you know what I find out.

TriRocket man,
did it get any worse going home?
If so I'd tell em,
if not I'd get it back and ride it till it does get worse, then there ain't no doubt.
Any other dealers in the area?
I think Flip took his to a dealer he was real happy with.
seems like it was about 600 miles from his place in Michigan, so it might be close to you.
Worth a PM to him to find out for sure.
glad y'all made it home safe.
skip

Well, it's true you can't believe all the crap you read on the internet. Of course, it's usually pretty easy to detect the bull from legit comments. Here's a good example of someone (not sure who yet) being full of bull. I bought a new Triumph Tiger Saturday and promptly used the $1000 in clothing or accessories to buy the 3 box luggage package; mainly because I already have Paul Stanley signature manties so I don't see any need to buy more clothes. Anyway, I inquired on the Tiger forum about the size of the top box because 34 liters doesn't really tell me anything. I want to know I it'll hold my laptop bag or a fullsize helmet, etc... I got 2 answers contradicting each other. One guy says he keeps 2 fullsize helmets in his and the other said it wouldn't even hold one.

To quote Ronald Reagan (I think it was him): I trust, but verify. ;)

I just wanted to let everyone that was at RAA 4 about my experience with my dealer concerning my output shaft bearing problem that surfaced at RAA 4. I rode the bike to my dealer on Tuesday after work. My complaint about a strange noise coming from the bike was answered "well that's a big motor and it makes a lot of strange noises". When I informed them that it was probably the output shaft bearing, because it was a known problem, he responded "you can't believe all that crap that you read on the internet". He did say that they had one other rocket that had that problem and that Triumph was good at paying for known defects. I had to leave it with them so they could check it out. I am waiting for a call from them. I think I am on the receiving end of a screwin'. I will let you know what I find out.

Who did you take your Rocket to?

As close as you 2 are, I'd be taking the bikes to Baxter's in Marne, Iowa, especially after the dealer gave you a crap line like that. I'd be really leery about their competence. The R3 motor is kind of complicated inside, not your run-of-the-mill Briggs and Stratton.

The TDU noise can get more pronounced or it can maitain one level. But whatever the level is, it's more felt than heard through the chassis as the bike goes down the road and it will cease if the clutch is pulled in while the bike is rolling along. That's because when you relieve the torque on the driveline, the TDU output bearing self centers and the noise goes away.

I took my bike to RPM Motorwerks in Belleville IL . They are reported to be a very good shop. It's a small place that only deals in Triumph but they work on all makes. I don't have a TDU problem mine is in for other reasons.:(

Last edited:
update

The shop called me today and said that they are going to drop the oil pan and check the sump in the bottom for any metal shavings and the like that may be in there. If there is no metal in the sump, they will put the pan back on and that will be the end of it. If there is metal in the sump, they will have to rebuild the transmission to Triumph specs and Triumph will pay for all of it.
From the clinking and clanking noise that it made for a day and a half I suspect the a rebuild will be in order. But it looks like they are going to take care of me.
Just thought I would let you know. I will post another update when it gets fixed.
Dave

Back