Out To Kill Motorcyclists

nolton

Living Legend
Ride
2009 black standard
Study Proves Drivers Are Out To Kill Motorcyclists

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/17lx8auxdlp6gjpg/original.jpgAccording to a survey conducted by the California Office of Traffic Safety, the majority of car drivers are unaware that Link Removed is a legal practice. A small minority, seven percent, admitted to researchers that they'd actively tried to prevent lane splitting. Despite that, the vast majority, 84.4 percent of riders, have never had an incident while splitting.
A lot of what's in this report is statistical confirmation of common sense and what you and I observe every day:
- The vast majority of riders are male (93.4 percent) and middle aged (30.4 percent are 45-54).
- Most riders use motorcycles only for leisure (45.9 percent), but plenty use them for both commuting and leisure riding (30.8 percent).
- More riders lane split on freeways (77.6 percent) than on surface streets (63.9 percent)
- You're more likely to be hit by a car while lane splitting on the freeway (11.7 percent) than on surface streets (8.3 percent
- Only 1.7 percent of riders admit to splitting while traffic is traveling at 70mph or faster.
- 10mph above the speed of traffic is the most popular splitting pace (42.1 percent).
- Distracted drivers (30.0 percent) and drivers not bothering to check mirrors before changing lanes (32.5 percent) are seen as the biggest dangers.
- You're more likely to lane split the more often you ride.
The study is timed to coincide with the launch of Motorcycle Safety Awareness Month, in which the state will pay lip service to driver awareness, but the drivers will be too busy texting to notice.
"OMG, did u watch Idol????"
"Totez. Just hit a bike. LOL"
It'll be ignored, but the OTS issues the following advice to motorists on how to avoid hitting a biker while texting:
- Perform a visual check for motorcycles by checking mirrors and blind spots before entering
or exiting a lane of traffic, and at intersections.
- Always signal your intentions before changing lanes or merging with traffic.
- Don't be fooled by a flashing turn signal on a motorcycle – motorcycle signals are often not
self-canceling and riders sometimes forget to turn them off. Wait to be sure the motorcycle is
going to turn before you proceed.
- Allow more following distance – three or four seconds – when behind a motorcycle so the
motorcyclist has enough time to maneuver or stop in an emergency.
- Never tailgate. In dry conditions, motorcycles can stop more quickly than cars.
Never drive while distracted or under the influence of drugs or alcohol.
Helpfully, there's also advice for keeping yourself alive:
- Avoiding riding in poor weather conditions;
- Wearing brightly colored protective gear and a DOT-compliant helmet;
- Using turn signals for every turn or lane change, even if the rider thinks no one will see it;
- Combining hand signals and turn signals to draw more attention to themselves;
- Using reflective tape and stickers to increase conspicuity;
- Positioning themselves in the lane where they will be most visible to other drivers; and
Never driving while impaired.
Hand signals and reflective tape? Yeah, some bureaucrat is still convinced it's 1962. For better advice, check out our comprehensive guide to Link Removed. And watch out for all those intercept surveyors out there.

Study Proves Drivers Are Out To Kill Motorcyclists

While I can see the appeal of lane splitting, I'd rather arrive in one piece than attempt that with the quality of drivers on the roads around here.
I have lost count of the times I am driving and say to my passenger "Look at this clown... doing everything but drive". texting, yacking on the phone, putting on make-up etc etc. You know the kind of stuff. They have a hard enough time staying in their lane at the best of times, let alone leaving room for a bike to get through.
Those who are allowed to do it and practice it, all power to ya, but not for me.

Be safe everyone.

Jthree

I'm with J3,
I'm NOT splitting lanes myself.
Nolton, in your piece towars the bottom it says.
Hand signals, yea some politician thinks its still 1962.
I use hand signals at every turn and lane change.
The drivers "see" that better than a signal .
If nothing else, they look to see if I'm flipping them off or not.
Guys that split lanes,
good luck to ya with that.
Not for me, I' might get there 10 seconds later,
but I'll get there.

I do it. Don't care for it too much, but it beats the alternative.

I normally move about 10MPH above surrounding traffic and only when traffic is congested (accident, etc.).

If you've ridden in SoCal traffic you'll know what it's like to watch fellow drivers actually playing football between parked cars on the closed interstate while an accident is cleared.

I prefer the risky lane splitting to the aggravation of sitting on hot asphalt for up to an hour (I've seen longer).

And crossing back into the US from Mexico? Talk about cutting a 3-hour wait to 5 minutes!

But that's just me.

A person has to remember that your in competition with cell phones. That always used to drive me nuts, when I was driving a truck people on the cell phone doing their makeup even reading books and that was just Lexington, Kentucky I hate to be in LA. :confused:

Cell phones and driving
God I hate that
When did we all become so important that we have to be available at all times .
Talking on the phone and driving should be illegal .
I never answer mine while driving never

Cell phones and driving
God I hate that
When did we all become so important that we have to be available at all times .
Talking on the phone and driving should be illegal .
I never answer mine while driving never
They just passed a law here that you're not allowed to text and drive they should include doing makeup and reading books for those that do not have enough sense not to do it :mad:

Iv'e always beleived that here in QLD you can lane split if the traffic is stoped so thats what I do straight to the front at the lights if there is room. I also lane split on the hyway when traffic is jammed up and travelling at walking speed.

Back