Original YUASA battery

Steve8319

Supercharged
Ride
2010 R3 Roadster
My battery is coming up for 5 years old, I think our recent frosty cold snap has killed it. Is this usual on R3's. Doesnt seem to want to hold a charge, I have ignition and lights, tries to crank but wont crank. My trickle charger shows it charged but when put on a charger the 25% full light comes on then goes out after a couple of minutes.

Meant to say 00% full light comes on and goes out not 25%. Definately has some juice but doesnt seem enough to crank it over.

Last edited:
Mine is almost that old, 2010, after 3 or 4 months no starts, it still showed 80% when I got around to putting the tender on it. Good battery.

5 years is good for a battery that only has a two year warranty. It was your charger that kept it alive.
Sounds like your battery is toast. Has no load capacity left. New battery sounds like the answer.

Yup - 5 years is not bad for a plain lead-acid battery.

Mine is getting on for that sort of age - I half expect it one day to say "no more". I'll be getting a MotoBatt.

JM2C... I like the YUASA i usually change mine every five years if it makes it that long. I learned awhile back to always keep it on the battery charger. Of all the bikes i've owned the Rocket has a way of draining the battery. I've lost two letting them drain to the point of no return without keeping them on the charger..

Last edited:
My OEM Yuasa battery lasted 6 years. I only use the trickle charger during the winter. I wanted to replace it with another OEM type Yuasa but the battery dealer suggested up grading to an Absorbed Glass Mat battery. They have more cold cranking amps. So I did. I like it.

Once a battery has reached the end of its serviceable life ,it will show a full charge ,but this is only a surface charge the guts of the battery has deteriorated and its time to give it the heave ho !and buy a new one ,I do not wai for them to let me down ,just replace at the first sign of slow cranking or headlight getting brighter when you rev the engine ,better than being stranded in Deliverance Country, alright for me I have relatives that live there :laugh:

From my perspective batteries are cheap insurance from getting stranded. I keep a battery tender on mine any time my bike will be parked more than several days. An AGM is the only way to go and I never trust a battery beyond 3 years. Get rid of it and buy a new one. With that said, hope the new one hasn't been sitting on a shelf for 2 years before you bought it.

Back