On the road agan

Micksan

Supercharged
Ride
2023 Triumph R3 GT, 2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT,
Well after a long journey to get all the bugs out of my 06 R3 , I believe that I am here at long last. Today I took it out and put a bit over 75 miles giving it a test run. Started out on local streets , then moved out , and after stopping back to pick up a helmet I hit I-40. Then I got a bit serious , until I came up on a black car with the words HIGHWAY PATROL. I was doing 110 mph. I did slow down. A month ago I could get up to 80 mph and it would stay there .
Wayne Tripp told me that I had some serious issued in the electrical system. He could not point at anything directly, but gave me a good solid direction to go. Because of some things I noticed in the harness I decided to change out the main harness. I am the 3rd owner , and there had been circuits added and subtracted. When I got it , the ignition switch was replaced with a toggle switch. There were running lights mounted on the radiator with no relay. After pulling the harness I found some plastic quick splices still attached , after the tag wire was removed.
Make a long story short , I installed the harness, and put the anti- tip switch upside down. That added to the fun when I could not get any spark. Tracking was a real lesson in patience. Knew it had to be something simple , and right in front of me. Yesterday I was back together enough to drive down the block and back.
All of this was after dropping the engine to replace the two bearings on the output shaft ( Balancer) . Replacing a warped rear rotor, and getting the front suspension beefed up.
To be honest I had no idea that this bike had as much guts as it does . Handles like a dream. The trucks on 40 kick it pretty good. I can now come up on one at 75 and with a twist pass at 90+ in a heart beat.
More than once I thought about parting it out. I love a challenge but this affair was growing old fast.
Well to all of those who gave advice and encouragement >>>THANKS

Russ Marooney
Marooney.org

job well done Russ..now you should offer your mechanical ability services to Triumph dealers in your area on a consultant basis..lol..gawd knows they could use them...hope it gives you many miles of trouble free service..btw, cool website ya got in your sig link..but the bike image wouldn't let me 'click'

Back