R3Tex

Living Legend
Ride
'13 Rocket III Roadster
Anybody running one of the older Reband exhaust systems? I understand that they have changed a few things to make an easier fitment, but I'm about ready to chuck these in the trash. A little background...the pipes came off Kenny Boudreaux's bike (RIP) when Steel stripped it after he passed before the bike went back to the bank. Not what I really wanted in the first place, but I was trying to do a good deed for the widow of a fellow biker. When I got them I assume that they had the original coating which didn't last very long. They have been coated twice more by Polydyn here in Houston...neither subsequent coating lasted long either. It is time for the annual trip to the coaters (new lot this time) and I am once again faced with getting them installed on the bike. The problem with these things is that it is near impossible to get them to seal up. I have tried every type of exhaust sealant, form-a-gasket, and goop I can find...they still leak where the individual header pipes come into the collector. As I looked at them I started wondering..."why the h3ll didn't I just weld them up to begin with?" So my question to anyone that has a set is...did you weld yours up at the collector? Or are you using some secret sealant that I don't know about?

Anybody running one of the older Reband exhaust systems? I understand that they have changed a few things to make an easier fitment, but I'm about ready to chuck these in the trash. A little background...the pipes came off Kenny Boudreaux's bike (RIP) when Steel stripped it after he passed before the bike went back to the bank. Not what I really wanted in the first place, but I was trying to do a good deed for the widow of a fellow biker. When I got them I assume that they had the original coating which didn't last very long. They have been coated twice more by Polydyn here in Houston...neither subsequent coating lasted long either. It is time for the annual trip to the coaters (new lot this time) and I am once again faced with getting them installed on the bike. The problem with these things is that it is near impossible to get them to seal up. I have tried every type of exhaust sealant, form-a-gasket, and goop I can find...they still leak where the individual header pipes come into the collector. As I looked at them I started wondering..."why the h3ll didn't I just weld them up to begin with?" So my question to anyone that has a set is...did you weld yours up at the collector? Or are you using some secret sealant that I don't know about?

Are yours the same pipes as my avatar pic?

Mine leak at the collector and they drilled holes completely thru the header pipes for the heat shield bolts then welded thread bosses over them so over time I get leaks at each little screw

Mine leak at the collector and they drilled holes completely thru the header pipes for the heat shield bolts then welded thread bosses over them so over time I get leaks at each little screw

Heat shield lol .... it doesn't do much shielding ....I wrapped mine which helps a bit ......mine are a very close fit so they didn't need much sealing .....the only problem I had was fitting the silcener to the bike ....I had to remove the big triangle foot rest cover but couldn't get one of the screws back in as the headers were in the way :banghead:

Getting them welded sounds like the he best idea.

Regarding your coating, do you know what brand ceramic they're using? The Cerakote my CES were refinished with has held up heaps better than what came on them. The color has faded slightly but it's heldnrust at bay and hasn't chipped.

Regarding your coating, do you know what brand ceramic they're using? The Cerakote my CES were refinished with has held up heaps better than what came on them. The color has faded slightly but it's heldnrust at bay and hasn't chipped.

Rob, interesting stuff!
Have heard of Cerakote for guns, but not for headers.
My CES are in need of re-finish.
I managed to find this:
RAINIER POWDER COATING
Services: Cerakote™ High Temp Coating
28108 28TH AVENUE SO
FEDERAL WAY, WA, 98003, USA

I have used double gaskets (6 in total) on my Reband's with copper silicone smeared both sides of the gasket.
I have welded up the hole under the sheild boss and have a CES flange to solid mount the pipes but have not done this yet, leaving them lose makes fitting unessessarliy clumsy

Last edited:

Not sure what brand they use but here is their website

Home - Polymer Dynamics, Inc

Doesn't say much about their coating service. Pro racers may be good with re-coating every year but I'm not

Back