R3Rider

Supercharged
Ride
2011 Triumph Rocket 3 Roadster
Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice, I have just received the paperwork for my new 2011 R3R and have discovered it was filled with Shell VSX4 oils on it's last service, this was back in 2011 (Bike has only travelled 8,660km's) so I think it best I change the oil when it arrives.
Some info on the net says this is a part synthetic oil. I would rather change to full synthetic (Unless you guys feel otherwise). What do I need to do in terms of changing? Do I just drain existing oil and change filter along with new full synthetic?
Or do I need to flush?

What is recommended for OZ in terms of weight and brand? 10w50?

Any advice welcomed.

Cheers

Not sure whats available over there but I use amsoil 20w 50 motorcycle oil. Its a full synthetic and is compatible with all the other oils. You shouldnt need to flush it if you want to run any full synthetic. A lot of guys here run Mobil 1. Oil weight may vary depending on the owners choice. Al

Not sure whats available over there but I use amsoil 20w 50 motorcycle oil. Its a full synthetic and is compatible with all the other oils. You shouldnt need to flush it if you want to run any full synthetic. A lot of guys here run Mobil 1. Oil weight may vary depending on the owners choice. Al
Thanks Al, much appreciated.

Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice, I have just received the paperwork for my new 2011 R3R and have discovered it was filled with Shell VSX4 oils on it's last service, this was back in 2011 (Bike has only travelled 8,660km's) so I think it best I change the oil when it arrives.
Some info on the net says this is a part synthetic oil. I would rather change to full synthetic (Unless you guys feel otherwise). What do I need to do in terms of changing? Do I just drain existing oil and change filter along with new full synthetic?
Or do I need to flush?

What is recommended for OZ in terms of weight and brand? 10w50?

Any advice welcomed.

Cheers
Neville lush racing ( guy who did my mods ) recommends motul 300v 15w-50 $120 buys 4 liters , a few of us use Penrite 15w-50 mc-4st 100% poa ester around $80 ( 2x2.5 l bottle) 5 liters you can get at Repco . If temp is over 10 c then 15w-50 or 10w- 40 these are what viscocity my owners manual recommends

Last edited:
Id be put another dose of semi syn in for the next change was reliably told it better breaks in the motor to not go to full syn till the bike has at least done three oil changes

Id be putting another dose of semi syn in for the next change, I was reliably told it better breaks in the motor to not go to full syn till the bike has at least done three oil changes /15,000 km

I've heard a lot about break in oil, etc but never really left it in a motor over about 1,000 miles. After that it's full synthetic. Take your pick on brand, but read the back and make sure you are getting full synthetic not a blend

I've generally used Motul 7100 full synthetic 10W40 (one step down from the 300v) but have been giving BellRay EXS a go for the last 2 changes. Engine is quieter, starts easier and gear changes are smoother. Google it; you'll be impressed with the blurb, and it seems to work. Costs around the same as the Motul 300v. Nothing wrong with Shell, Castrol, Silkolene equivalents for that matter. Semi synthetic would be fine for a relatively stock engine. Main thing is that it is suitable for a wet clutch and preferably a known brand.

Back