Mike Rocket

Rocket 3
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Roadster
I know this is an old thread but I need reassurance. My oil tank completely drains down into the sump within 3 days of parking up after a run.
Looking at the drawing it looks like the oil pick up and scavenge pipes in the tank are higher than the oil level so it cannot be draining down through these pipes.
Again looking at the drawing it appears there is only 2 connections to the engine from the oil tank so how does the oil drain down?
I also cannot see how the oil tank drain plug in the sump plate gets to drain the tank as it cannot be through the pick up and return pipes. (does anybody know?)
If I start the engine with no oil showing in the tank the oil light is out in a couple of seconds but if I top the oil above the bottom of the pickup pipe in the tank the oil light is out in a split second, meaning the engine runs for a couple of seconds with no oil pressure just as if you have changed the oil filter.
I have now started to suck out a litre of oil if I am parking up for more than a couple of days.
This is the second rocket I have had and the 1st one took 3 weeks to drain down, this one takes 3 days.
It's a 2014 Roadster.
Any comments would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Its either the O-ring on the tank drain plug, or the anti leak down / one way flow valve. Might have so debris in it so its not closing completely. Or its draining down thru the clutch oil nozzle. 3 days is pretty fast so It could also be a combination. If its something new I would first check the tank drain plug. You're correct about the piping in the tank. Pipe on top is return from the scavenger pumps. Pipe on bottom gravity feeds the pressure pump. The O-ring on the plug is the first one I would think and check, then the oneway valve.

Its either the O-ring on the tank drain plug, or the anti leak down / one way flow valve. Might have so debris in it so its not closing completely. Or its draining down thru the clutch oil nozzle. 3 days is pretty fast so It could also be a combination. If its something new I would first check the tank drain plug. You're correct about the piping in the tank. Pipe on top is return from the scavenger pumps. Pipe on bottom gravity feeds the pressure pump. The O-ring on the plug is the first one I would think and check, then the oneway valve.

Thanks.
There is no external leaks.
Do you know if the o ring on the oil tank drain plug can cause this leak down?
Do you know how the oil gravity feeds to the clutch nozzle and to the oil tank drain point?
There is nothing about all this in the factory manual.

Thanks.
There is no external leaks.
Do you know if the o ring on the oil tank drain plug can cause this leak down?
Do you know how the oil gravity feeds to the clutch nozzle and to the oil tank drain point?
There is nothing about all this in the factory manual.
Yes as I posted above first possible is O-ring on the tank drain plug. Most likely that is what it is. Especially if it just started and you have not changed the O-ring as it might be damaged. Or compressed so much you pushing the sump pan down torquing the plug. I gots to get another cup of coffee I'll answer more in a little bit.

Last edited:
Yes as zi posted above first possible is O-ring on the tank drain plug. Most likely that is what it is. Especially if it just started and you have not changed the O-ring as it might be damaged. Or compressed so much you pushing the sump pan down torquing the plug. I gots to get another cup of coffee I'll answer more in a little bit.

Thankyou. I didn't realise that o ring may cause this problem. I will check it out.

Thankyou. I didn't realise that o ring may cause this problem. I will check it out.
I am looking for a picture I can modify to show you. But rest assured you put the drain plug in without the O-ring the tank will drain into the sump. I am suspecting your O-ring is damaged.

And if it hasn't been like this all along and just started in the last oil change or so I would bet money on the O-ring being damaged or torn.

I am looking for a picture I can modify to show you. But rest assured you put the drain plug in without the O-ring the tank will drain into the sump. I am suspecting your O-ring is damaged.

And if it hasn't been like this all along and just started in the last oil change or so I would bet money on the O-ring being damaged or torn.

Thankyou

Ok, @Mike Rocket I have been under the weather, still not sure if it just started or not since you didn't answer whether it just started after a oil change or not. So I guess I will just post this since I've been under the weather. There are two possible nozzles that could leak down while the bike is off. pictured below.
oil leakdown possibilities.jpg

Anyway I can see now I have to enlarge the writing font a bit. You never have to pull the chrome ring off the clutch cover it is there as reinforcement and vibration damper for the clutch actuating components. so to expose this area is like changing the clutch pull radiator, coolant pump and complete clutch cover.

Anyway since you haven't answered the main question as to whether it just started or not. Is your O-ring good? is it gone? Is it torn. it your oil plug one that might be a little two long and maybe pushing on the lower engine case when you tighten it?

Oil Plug 07 sump pan flush
20200310_083438.jpg

or do the tolerances add up to a bit too long like below even with a good O-ring like the earlier sump pan below

2016-07-09 13.38.28.jpg

I'd be checking the O-ring on the plug first again Especially if it just started after a oil change !!!! if not and it still just started then we need to look at a couple other things. but yes I have seen at least one of my nozzles dribble. before which will drain the tank. but then so would a one way/ stop check valve valve and from what it looks like the pressure relief valve.

anyway it might be easier with a little more information.

Last edited:
Ok, @Mike Rocket I have been under the weather, still not sure if it just started or not since you didn't answer whether it just started after a oil change or not. So I guess I will just post this since I've been under the weather. There are two possible nozzles that could leak down while the bike is off. pictured below.
oil leakdown possibilities.jpg

Anyway I can see now I have to enlarge the writing font a bit. You never have to pull the chrome ring off the clutch cover it is there as reinforcement and vibration damper for the clutch actuating components. so to expose this area is like changing the clutch pull radiator, coolant pump and complete clutch cover.

Anyway since you haven't answered the main question as to whether it just started or not. Is your O-ring good? is it gone? Is it torn. it your oil plug one that might be a little two long and maybe pushing on the lower engine case when you tighten it?

Oil Plug 07 sump pan flush
20200310_083438.jpg

or do the tolerances add up to a bit too long like below even with a good O-ring like the earlier sump pan below

2016-07-09 13.38.28.jpg

I'd be checking the O-ring on the plug first again Especially if it just started after a oil change !!!! if not and it still just started then we need to look at a couple other things. but yes I have seen at least one of my nozzles dribble. before which will drain the tank. but then so would a one way/ stop check valve valve and from what it looks like the pressure relief valve.

anyway it might be easier with a little more information.

Thank you warp9.9.
Thanks very much for the pictures.
The drain down started on it's own and i have now changed the o ring on the oil tank drain plug and it still drains down. 1/2" overnight. It concerns me as if after 3-4 days the tank is empty and when I start the bike it takes slightly longer for the oil light to go out (only a second or so) with the tank empty while the scavenge pump does it's job. The oil light still go's out quicker than when I change the oil filter and wait for the light to go out.
I suspect most of these rockets drain down as there is no comments on the site about major engine problems due to this. I don't even know if it's a fault as the triumph oil level method says start up ,switch off and wait 10 mins. for the oil level reading to be correct, so they must be allowing for the drain down.
As I said before my other r3 roadster did the same but took a month to do so.
It looks like from your pictures it a complete front of engine strip down to even look at the spray bars.
I probable will look at the one way valve in the sump first as it looks like the simpler and quicker job.
Do you think it's a serious problem?
Thanks for your help.

Ok so the O-ring you removed was it torn or damaged any. Do you think you were missing any of the the O-ring? I ask for thinking purpose. If it had a piece torn off I can see it holding the anti leak down valve open. But also particals could be holding the nozzels open. I need to locate the one I had for the oil pump. Dang memory, but let me get a wrench and tear the one coming out of the engine case to take a look see. It will take a little but cause I'm still in my jammies :) give me 5 minutes.

Last edited:
Back