Oil pressure gauge for R3T

ZoneIII

Supercharged
Ride
2015 Triumph Rocket III Touring
Has anyone here installed a oil pressure gauge on their R3T? If so, what was involved in the installation? Where did you mount it? A picture would be great.

The reason I ask is my 2015 R3T oil pressure light is coming on AGAIN. It goes on and off. (Yes, I know how serious OP is. I've been working on engines for over 50 years but I'm confident that it's just the OP sending unit that failed last year in the middle of nowhere on a 6,000 mile road trip. At that time, even though the engine ran great with no unusual engine noise or performance issues, I got to the nearest town and had it towed about 100 miles to a Triumph dealership to be safe. Now it's doing the same thing. It's going in to my local Triumph shop on Thursday and still covered under warranty but I'd like to install an oil pressure gauge for peace of mind. I'll let Triumph fix it again. But since this has happened twice now, it's time to think about installing an OPG.

Last edited:
The way we used to do this...and I sure you remember....the sending unit is in an oil gallery, so you'd hook your gauge there. Simply remove the factory sender and substitute the new gauge's sender with an adapter that is usually found in the kit. Where to mount the gauge...well there are generic handlebar mounts to be had just about any motorcycle parts website.

The way we used to do this...and I sure you remember....the sending unit is in an oil gallery, so you'd hook your gauge there. Simply remove the factory sender and substitute the new gauge's sender with an adapter that is usually found in the kit. Where to mount the gauge...well there are generic handlebar mounts to be had just about any motorcycle parts website.

Thanks, Rocket John.

That part I know. In other words, I would expect to use an adapter so I could hook up the oil pressure gauge line and also the oil pressure sending unit. The reason if I'm askling of anyone has done this is I'm wondering if there's enough space for the adapter. It would also move out sending unit and I'm wondering if there's space for that. I can't see the setup without taking things apart. That's why I'd like to hear about from someone who's done this.

As for mounting the oil pressure gauge on the handlebars - that would require a flexible oil line unless it was electronic OPG. That would be asking for big trouble. I seem to remember seeing someone mount an OPG on their crash bars.

Has anyone here put an oil pressure gauge on your R3T. It should be the same with a Roadster.

Last edited:
I havent run one on my R3T but have many times on cars. Run a flexible brass line. Be careful when you make the bends so you don't kink the line and mount it on a hard point so you don't need to worry about the line flexing on the bars.

I havent run one on my R3T but have many times on cars. Run a flexible brass line. Be careful when you make the bends so you don't kink the line and mount it on a hard point so you don't need to worry about the line flexing on the bars.

Thanks. If I install an OPG, I think I'd install it solidly (not on the handlebars). Besides, I have too much stuff there already including a windshield bag behind the windshield. I wouldn't have a problem mounting it where I would have to crane my neck to see it. The main thing is that I could check the OP if and when the oil pressure light goes on if the oil pressure sending unit fails yet again. Mounting it on the side of the engine or on a crash bar would probably be fine. But that's not really the problem. What I'm trying to find out from someone who has done this is whether or not there's room to fit the adapter, oil line and the re-positioned sending unit. It's difficult to see in drawings whether there would be room to fit things.

I'll ask Triumph service about this when I take he bike in on Thursday but I have little confidence in anything they say because of things they've said before that showed they didn't know what they were talking about. But I'd really like to hear from anyone here who has installed an oil pressure gauge on their R3T. The only reason I'm Triumph them do the work is that the bike is still under warranty. Other than that, I do everything else myself.

just a thought.
could u have an adapter made to fit in between the filter and the case and put the fitting there. i am only assuming that it could give a good OP reading.

just a thought.
could u have an adapter made to fit in between the filter and the case and put the fitting there. i am only assuming that it could give a good OP reading.

Thanks for the idea. That's worth checking into but, thinking about it, it probably wouldn't work because the filter would be sticking out too far and there would probably be an issue with the filter O-ring sealing. Still, I'll give that some thought.

BTW, just for the info: I checked the service manual. Getting at the sending unit isn't as bad as I thought. You remove the seat, battery, tank, right side engine infill panel, and the intake duct. Darn! I had all that stuff out a month ago or so when I synced the throttle bodies.

Thanks, Rocket John.

That part I know. In other words, I would expect to use an adapter so I could hook up the oil pressure gauge line and also the oil pressure sending unit. The reason if I'm askling of anyone has done this is I'm wondering if there's enough space for the adapter. It would also move out sending unit and I'm wondering if there's space for that. I can't see the setup without taking things apart. That's why I'd like to hear about from someone who's done this.

As for mounting the oil pressure gauge on the handlebars - that would require a flexible oil line unless it was electronic OPG. That would be asking for big trouble. I seem to remember seeing someone mount an OPG on their crash bars.

Has anyone here put an oil pressure gauge on your R3T. It should be the same with a Roadster.

Modern kits don't use an oil line...they use an electrical pressure sender. And you can get brass tees that let you retain the factory sender and hook up the sender for the gauge. I would not be surprised if a robust kit came with such a tee. Yes, you would be adapting an automotive kit, but we do what we must to get where we need to go.

Hi, just my opinion but if it were me I would be standing there and watching that the Technician physically change the sender unit, instead of cleaning it up, as this second failure is too unlikely to be a coincedence. Then if it proves to be a further problem an OPG would certainly be an option worth looking into...Just a thought

Back