Oil level drop in oil tank (Again)

Mike Rocket

Rocket 3
Ride
2014 Rocket 3 Roadster
Sorry, i have asked before but now it drains down quicker.
I have a 2014 Rocket 3 Roadster with 12000 miles on the clock so really nothing should be worn yet.
The oil tank has drained down into the sump overnight a couple of times now, which seems pretty fast to me.
I have replaced the one way valve in the bottom of the engine that is supposed to prevent this drain down 6 months ago but it made no difference then, it was draining down in 3 days.
I understand this happens on a lot of Rockets.
When I start it with an empty oil tank the oil pressure light has a slight delay going out but if I put about 125ml of oil in the tank prior to starting after a couple of days standing the oil light extinguishes almost immediately.
Has anybody else noticed this happening?
Is it going to cause any engine damage on a cold start while the oil pump returns drained down oil to the tank?
I would like to know why this happens and would like to fix it.
What is the cause of the drain down when i have already replaced the non return valve with a new one.
Am i overthinking this?
I have only noticed this because i pulled the dipstick before starting up after an overnight stand. If i just started the bike as per what the manual says ie run for a couple of minutes, switch off and dip the oil i would never have noticed this. The oil light stays out once running even on tick over.
I am thinking most owners just fire up and the check oil and then ride off.
As i have said the oil light goes out within a few seconds anyway but quicker if i put the 125 ml of oil in the tank. This only means a slight (seconds) delay while the system builds up pressure.
I am thinking now it must be a quirk of this motorcycle as i hav'nt read about any big ends failing or other enginge damage due to this.
Maybe i am worrying about nothing?
Any comments are welcome please.

I (almost) never check the oil. I just start it up and go.
Some times I check the oil before going on a long trip and there's always enough oil. (after having run it for a couple of minutes)
I have no idea how much oil there is in the tank when I start it up but it must work ok as there's no bad knocking noises when I start it up. (2013 Roadster with 70,000 km on the clock)
If there's no bad noises when you start it up, then I wouldn't worry about it.

I (almost) never check the oil. I just start it up and go.
Some times I check the oil before going on a long trip and there's always enough oil. (after having run it for a couple of minutes)
I have no idea how much oil there is in the tank when I start it up but it must work ok as there's no bad knocking noises when I start it up. (2013 Roadster with 70,000 km on the clock)
If there's no bad noises when you start it up, then I wouldn't worry about it.
It all sounds normal with no knocking.
I am just hoping I a concerned over nothing.
Thanks for your reply

Sorry, i have asked before but now it drains down quicker.
I have a 2014 Rocket 3 Roadster with 12000 miles on the clock so really nothing should be worn yet.
The oil tank has drained down into the sump overnight a couple of times now, which seems pretty fast to me.
I have replaced the one way valve in the bottom of the engine that is supposed to prevent this drain down 6 months ago but it made no difference then, it was draining down in 3 days.
I understand this happens on a lot of Rockets.
When I start it with an empty oil tank the oil pressure light has a slight delay going out but if I put about 125ml of oil in the tank prior to starting after a couple of days standing the oil light extinguishes almost immediately.
Has anybody else noticed this happening?
Is it going to cause any engine damage on a cold start while the oil pump returns drained down oil to the tank?
I would like to know why this happens and would like to fix it.
What is the cause of the drain down when i have already replaced the non return valve with a new one.
Am i overthinking this?
I have only noticed this because i pulled the dipstick before starting up after an overnight stand. If i just started the bike as per what the manual says ie run for a couple of minutes, switch off and dip the oil i would never have noticed this. The oil light stays out once running even on tick over.
I am thinking most owners just fire up and the check oil and then ride off.
As i have said the oil light goes out within a few seconds anyway but quicker if i put the 125 ml of oil in the tank. This only means a slight (seconds) delay while the system builds up pressure.
I am thinking now it must be a quirk of this motorcycle as i hav'nt read about any big ends failing or other enginge damage due to this.
Maybe i am worrying about nothing?
Any comments are welcome please.
Did you have the O-ring on the left forward drain plug replaced during oil changes? From what I understand the plug's O-ring allows the oil to drain from the tank during oil changes when removing the plug and if not sealing properly allows the oil to drain back into the sump.

Last edited:
Do you have the O-ring on the left forward drain plug replaced during oil changes? From what I understand the plug's O-ring allows the oil to drain from the tank during oil changes when removing the plug and if not sealing properly allows the oil to drain back into the sump.
Yes, the o ring is there and was replaced when the oil was changed. Maybe i should check it again and maybe replace it just in case that is the reason.

Yes, the o ring is there and was replaced when the oil was changed. Maybe i should check it again and maybe replace it just in case that is the reason.
Another update.
Just checked the oil cold today, 4 days after i last used the bike and the oil level has dropped but has not all drained to sump. As i said before last week the oil tank drained down to the sump overnight to empty. It makes no sense except i suppose the anti drain vale (which i replaced with a new one last year) has just decided to seal itself better. What else it could be is a mystery to me!
No point worrying about this anymore as it can never be diagnosed for sure. It's just fixing itself?
A quirk of this bike.

Some do and some dont . My bike is an 05 been like that from new .I start it and ride and I have a few engine mods on mine.Dont worry about it, check the oil after it has warned up and if its good no problem.
Yes, thats what i do now, i just wanted to know why but seem to draw a blank now. (Curious only).

If you take the clutch cover off you will see a tube that oils the clutch basket.the oil slowly drips out of here until the oil tank is empty. I kid you not.
I hav'nt had that cover off yet. Mine is dropping oil to the sump at different rates for some reason after my runs. Over night sometimes and over 4 days another time. It used to take 2 weeks.

Back