Jallen3.14

Turbocharged
Ride
05 Rocket III
So, back in October, I did an oil change - filter plus 5 qts, then ran the bike for a few minutes and topped it off to the "full" mark.

Put a couple K miles riding down to Barber's Vintage Motorcycle festival, and rode around town for decreasing amounts as crappy weather set in.

When it hit 50 the other day, I got her out and noticed a burning oil smell. When I stopped I saw oil on the block just below the oil tank. Chcecked the dipstick and it was over the "full" mark.

When I put it away, I discovered a bit of oil on the garage floor.

Did I somehow over fill it? How? Where's it coming from? Is it spontaneously generating oil? Am I going to be the next Jed Clampett?

Hard to say without pictures...id clean it all off.... start her up for a few mins to get the oil back where it should be then check your oil level.... if that's ok then keep her running and use a torch to see if you can see any leaks...could be an o ring where the oil tank joins the rest of the bike.

could be the o ring on the tank to the block does it look like this?
Screenshot_20181222_205658.png

If so you might just need to give the tank a bit of a twist/wriggle by undoing the two bolts and try to reseat the o ring.

Happened to me last year and I lost about $240 dollars worth of Mobil 1 Oil as happen after oil change and replaced o ring only to find the triumph o-rings where the wrong size due to the chrome oil tank which leaked worse. Then replaced with another o-ring which I cut to bits and leaked pretty bad. So make sure you use grease if you replace the o-rings.

And now I have another leak after getting the second gear slip repaired. As it's only a small leak i just unbolt and give it a twist every couple of weeks. Won't be long before I need an oil change and will do the oring then as don't won't to waste that much oil again.

Back