Oil in coolant. ADVICE needed

RooK

Supercharged
Ride
'06 RIII
Hi All,

So my water pump was leaking (from the vent) on my 2006 Rocket 90,000km , I got a new pump.
I notice that the seal is installed backwards compared to the original.
Which one is right? (old pump on left, new one on right)
Would orientation of the seal affect anything?

THEN I look in the bucket, this appear to be oil in the coolant. My overflow had it too.
So I'm freaking out, I'm thinking head gasket... I'm getting ready to leave for a 5000km trip next week.
I dropped the oil, oil was clean, no coolant in it.

Thinking a lil more I have theories... I put in a brand new radiator last year, possible that it had some oily spray inside?
Is it possible that the oil was introduced from the water pump? (I'm thinking it would be more like coolant in oil but who knows)

As I mentioned, I'm getting ready to leave on a 10 day trip. Would you ride it?

Any thoughts?

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_20180828_085317160-2672x1503.jpg
    IMG_20180828_085317160-2672x1503.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20180828_101014523-1503x2672.jpg
    IMG_20180828_101014523-1503x2672.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 12
I was talking for a coworker and he doesn't think the white substance in the coolant is actually oil. His theory is that it's shredded paper or something similar floating around.

When I took the picture, the bike had not run for days.

My guess would be that's not oil in the coolant. IME that made for a cloudy/milky mix I could identify as oil.
Sorry I can't help with the water pump seal direction.

Did you flush the radiator before installation? The white stuff looks like flux from soldering to me. The coolant doesn't appear oily, no sheen. The different specific gravities between oil and water would not distribute oil like the picture shows.

I can't speak for motorcycle heat exchangers, but every industrial HX I've worked with was always flushed before being placed in service. That removes any debris that could have collected. Hopefully nobody left a paper tag in the coolant upper or lower tank, but you never know....

It got flushed last year. I use dthe same coolant this year.

From what I see, it appear to be something fluffy. It floats if left alone 24hours, defiintely not oil! It clots, definitely not a liquid.
I'm thinking there was a piece of paper or some fibre in the new radiator or hoses last year and it got shreadded pretty goor.

Back