maurice

Nitrous
Ride
2020 R3 GT
As long as the oil meets the specs of the manufacturer's recommended oil, Motul 4t 4 stroke 7100 15w-50 full synthetic oil, what reason would you not choose a cheaper oil? Example: Quick Silver full syn. Motorcycle oil.
Curious. Hate stupid wasteful spending, as well as not spending what is needed for max protection.

I use 7100 in my R3 good stuff, especially for the gear box and wet clutch. There are some brands I wont mention, that all your paying is for the name. But Motul, Liqui Moly, and Amsoil are my favorite go tos.

That's an interesting question and a big part is marketing...but then... sometimes you never really know and have to go with what makes you feel better or satisfied. Just this morning my bride and I were discussing our varying gasoline prices here in Miami. If all the same fuel meets the same guidelines, then why is the off-brand, Orion, Premium $3.29 a gallon while the Shell station charges $3.55? And they are about two miles apart... With our bikes the cost difference is less pronounced but when I fill up my 36-gallon truck, that's about $9 more per fill-up.... but for me, I go to Shell. BTW, I've been happy with Amsoil. It also supports my friend, a retired AF Chief who's a dealer.
-MIG

And Ma2 api sl,sm sn. I know this. My question is why are people paying for much more expensive oil since specs are met? Is it voo doo science or am I missing something?

Good question. Oil is always a contentious and controversial topic in all circles of motorsports.

And Ma2 api sl,sm sn. I know this. My question is why are people paying for much more expensive oil since specs are met? Is it voo doo science or am I missing something?
A cheap non synthetic oil will meet motorcycle oil specs but won't last long as a multi grade oil, rapidly loosing it's viscosity, becoming a mono grade, especially in a sump that's shared with the tranny. If you don't mind changing oil and filters way more often due to viscosity breakdown and a number of other issues , go for it. The big BUT, be ready to spend more time changing oil, spend more money on the extra oil/filters needed for the increased frequency change, aggravation getting rid of the old stuff more often and increased risk of having engine failures due to a decrease in corrosion protection, anti foaming protection, high temp protection, etc etc. You pay for those extra additives in the premium grade oils. Just look at the number of Amzoil 3rd party comparisons of different oils. Meeting a spec doesn't mean they are always good....

I put Castrol Edge full synthetic 5w- 50 in my 05 because it was on sale and I planned on it being more of a flush change. I ended up liking it alot my clutch never seemed smoother and no issues. Then I also buy Wix filters when I can.

Back