Sit on the bike, pick it up level on level ground. Look down by your left knee, pull the Oil cap out, ensure there is oil between the two hash marks on the bottom of the dip stick. Easy Peasy for the R3.

If you leave the bike standing for a bit of time ,like maybe a few weeks ,some of the oil contained in the tank may leak down past the check valve and go into the sump. You're always better to check the oil after you have run the engine. You'll get a more accurate reading doing it that way.

The manual does state that you should run the engine " for a few seconds " before checking oil level . There is a marked difference between the oil level of a bike that has been stood for a couple days and a bike that has been run for a few seconds , which adds credence to @kipper s previous post !

If you leave the bike standing for a bit of time ,like maybe a few weeks ,some of the oil contained in the tank may leak down past the check valve and go into the sump. You're always better to check the oil after you have run the engine. You'll get a more accurate reading doing it that way.
Actually it is probably not the oil non return valve. I just had my clutch cover off. And while I was in her I thought I would load some oil in the tank and watch it. Mine has leak down issues but nothing fast maybe about 1/2 inch down in the tank overnight. Anyway it took a while because its a slow drip. It is the spray bar coming from the pressure pump and spraying the clutch basket outside probably insures the two primary gears get extra lube plus helps lube the rest of the clutch on the outside. Anyway thats where the leak down is.

Back