Jeremy

.060 Over
Ride
2009 Triumph Rocket 3 Touring
I am a guy that has always done his own maintenance. I have read the manual and i am not sure what it is about it, but the instructions for the oil change seems to be much different than i am used to on a vehicle or a V-Twin. Does anyone have a write-up or solid video of changing the oil in a 2009 R3T?

Also, i am thinking that i will run a wix filter and Rotella T6 5w-40.

Also, are there any other fluids or anything to change? I got the bike from a dealer last year.

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't put automotive oil in, the clutch may slip. I just did an oil change and used Mobil-1 10W-40
Motorcycle Formula (5.5 qts. with a new filter). The WIX is a great choice. Found out that a Fram doesn't
allow the chrome cover to go back on.

There's 3 plugs to remove from the oil pan. Check youtube, I saw a few oil change videos on there.

Easy to do the oil on the rocket. However stick with either mobil 1 4t, or castrol 4t. And i use the wix filter. Just check the manual, there are three plugs to drain the tank and sumps.

The final drive oil I also change at each oil change. I use Lucas synthetic gear lube.

I think that it is the multiple drain locations that has me confused. if i drain them as normal, then just fill and then run it, or is there anything special that needs to be done to get oil in the sump?

I think that it is the multiple drain locations that has me confused. if i drain them as normal, then just fill and then run it, or is there anything special that needs to be done to get oil in the sump?

Yes, you first have to do the Hokey-Pokey and turn yourself around!

Seriously, there's a reason the service manual was written.

Ease your mind a bit. Pull all three drain plugs and let it all drain out. I use Mobil one and Wix filter. Fill and ride. Unlike Harley Davidson's you can drain all the oil. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

The manual is available on the site, just search for it, but attached phot illustrated the three drains for now....
Screenshot_20181231-135847_PDF Reader.jpg

Yours is most likely the second illustration above. All three of the drain plugs take the same size socket. You can re-use the washers. Warm the bike up. Loosen the oil filler cap. Drain the center plug first. Then pull the other two. You can have all three plugs out at the same time, assuming your drain pan is wide enough. Reinstall the drain plugs. Snug them up good, but don't overmuscle them. Then change the filter. Put in four quarts of oil (motorcycle oil!). Then start the bike and let it idle for 15-30 seconds, checking for leaks. Shut the bike off and add one more quart. Start the bike and let it idle for 30 seconds or so. Shut the girl off and sit on the bike with it in an upright position and check the oil level. Add up to a fourth of a quart as needed. Ride safe!

Last edited:
Yours is most likely the second illustration above. All three of the drain plugs take the same size socket. You can re-use the washers. Warm the bike up. Loosen the oil filler cap. Drain the center plug first. Then pull the other two. You can have all three plugs out at the same time, assuming your drain pan is wide enough. Reinstall the drain plugs. Snug them up good, but don't overmuscle them. Then change the filter. Put in four quarts of oil (motorcycle oil!). Then start the bike and let it idle for 15-30 seconds, checking for leaks. Shut the bike off and add one more quart. Start the bike and let it idle for 30 seconds or so. Shut the girl off and sit on the bike with it in an upright position and check the oil level. Add up to a fourth of a quart as needed. Ride safe!

The dealers want 275$ for this oil change service. :roll:

Back